Carnival Dream Cruise Review by WI5FAM: Had a nice time on the Dream

WI5FAM
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Western Caribbean Cruises

Had a nice time on the Dream

Sail Date: January 2014
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

Loved the ship. Did not find it to be overcrowded at all! The lines in the Buffet restaurant were longer than I have had on other ships but the food was also fresher and better prepared. Sit down dinner took and hour start to finish and was very enjoyable. We had a great wait team!

I liked the amount of structured activities on the Dream as compared to the smaller fun ships. I felt like there was always something to do or see. Great comedians & musicians aboard made it extra fun.

The aft hot tubs were crawling with unattended children (which was irritating to me) who were using them as swimming pools to jump and dive into. There were plenty of other hot tubs to use that were more relaxing. The waterworks was great! My kids loved it. I liked that there was plenty of seating for parents to keep a close eye on kids while playing on the little slides.

We watched a few of the shows while on board. My children did not care for them and wanted to leave after More about 30 min. I have to say, I don't disagree. The singing and dancing was great but the shows lacked a plot which made it less exciting to watch if you didn't know the songs they were singing.

The cleanliness of our room could have been better. There was quite a bit of dust/hair buildup around the baseboards. It really grossed me out. Even after I asked the room steward to vacuum there was a sunflower seed on the carpet. We, however, did not have any sunflower seeds. I am wondering how many cruises it has been there for. There was also quite a bit of mildew outside the shower/behind the toilet. I think a little elbow grease would have taken care of it. I have also been on several cruises where the steward tidys up your desk area and vanity. Not this time! Those areas were not touched. I am glad I brought a tub of lysol wipes so that I could wipe down the surfaces for myself. There was a blob of toothpaste in my sink that was there for 3 days! I think the guy was new, so I'll give him a break. The cleanliness of my cabin was not what I have experienced on other Carnival ships. Less

Read more Carnival Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Dream Interior Verandah 8402

Loved the location of our cabin. We are about halfway between the mid and aft elevators. This made navigating the ship in a timely manner very easy. I also like that it was only 2 decks up to Lido and 3 down to Promenade. We barely used the elevators. We also only had neighbors on one side of us, due to the Crew Storeroom on the other side. Nice and quiet!The cleanliness of our room could have been better. There was quite a bit of dust/hair buildup around the baseboards. It really grossed me out. Even after I asked the room steward to vacuum there was a sunflower seed on the carpet. We, however, did not have any sunflower seeds. I am wondering how many cruises it has been there for. There was also quite a bit of mildew outside the shower/behind the toilet. I think a little elbow grease would have taken care of it. I have also been on several cruises where the steward tidys up your desk area and vanity. Not this time! Those areas were not touched. I am glad I brought a tub of lysol wipes so that I could wipe down the surfaces for myself. There was a blob of toothpaste in my sink that was there for 3 days! I think the guy was new, so I'll give him a break. The cleanliness of my cabin was not what I have experienced on other Carnival ships.

Snorkeling

Snorkeling Wonders of the Barrier Reef tour.
It was wonderful! The tender to the small island was about 40 minutes. They handed out snorkeling gear on the boat ride. We had great weather which made it even more enjoyable. The island looks like it was once a sandbar and they built little retaining walls to keep it from washing away. The whole island was only 3 acres. There were mature palm trees and huts with picnic tables underneath so there was plenty of shade. They split the group into beginning, intermediate and advanced. The snorkeling portion was about 45 minutes. Just as the snorkeling was ending, the wind shifted and made it quite a bit wavier so I was glad to get my kids (7 & 8) out of the water and back to shore. We then had about an hour and a half to lay on the beach and play in the surf. There was a food hut with hot dogs, burgers, chips, soda & beer. Several bathrooms on the pier, were clean and well tended. They even offered clear bottomed kayaks to those people who did not want to snorkel. The staff that worked this excursion was exceptional. I would highly recommended this tour. Bring water shoes, the sand was pretty coarse due to chunks of broken coral and conch.

Chacchoben Mayan Ruins

I loved this excursion! It was so well done: air conditioned motor coach, bag lunch, knowledgeable guide, great archeological site, plenty of time to explore and take pictures. Our guide Lisbeth was fantastic! She kept us laughing during the hour long bus ride to the ruins. All the while teaching us about Mayan history and culture. The ruins were really well cared for and the grounds surrounding them were well manicured.
My kids liked the tour, it kept their attention. We even got to experience some of the natural wildlife. They saw leaf-cutter ants cutting a path through the grass and spider monkeys swinging from the trees above our heads. It was amazing!

We docked at the Puerta Maya dock which is further from the downtown area where I had previously docked on past cruises. The duty free shops had some GREAT deals! The best we saw the whole vacation. They had a nice, covered area to get a taxi and the line moved quickly. We asked a driver to take us on a tour of the island and to the grocery store. He took us to the Mega Mart (like as super walmart) , which was very clean and had all the aisle signs in English & Spanish. We made a few stops at some good places for photos. He was very knowledgeable about a monument we went to and its history. Then he took us to an organic tequila factory. Cute little place with different huts to teach about different Mexican food making and traditions. The cost for the factory was free and there were samples at the end. The driver/tour was $15 per person and lasted about 3 hours.

Read 3106 Cozumel Reviews

Beach Day

(3)

We booked the beach cabana and private beach for the day. When we booked, we were so focused on the cabana that we did not notice the "private beach" part. We assumed it would be like Half Moon Key, where the other people in our group could just pull their chair in front of our cabana. Not so much! There was a security guard on the beach who kept telling passers by (who were walking from the public beach to the snorkeling pier) that they had to stay in the water to pass by. They could not step foot on the "Private Beach" The cabana members got wrist bands so the workers would know who was supposed to be there and who was not. It was a big let down since we had 5 adults and 4 children and there were only 4 wrist bands available.
As far as the cabana and the amenities of the site, it was very nice. An air conditioned room and padded deck chairs, a hammock and beach floaters. There was a menu that you could purchase food from. It was good and came very quickly, but still a disappointment from our cabana experience at Half Moon Cay, Bahamas. That cabana came with a fruit platter, veggie tray, chips, salsa, gauc and a cooler full of soda and water.
For a price of $225 (for only 4 people), this excursion was disappointing.