“California Coastal Jan 20, 2014”
Cruise review of Sapphire Princess

SLCfirsttimer Sapphire Princess 5 California Coastal Jan 20, 2014
SLCfirsttimer
Member Since 2013
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating

This was a quick 4 day get away for us and to take our two kids on their first cruise and see how they fared before we took them on a longer and more expensive cruise.

The sailing was out of Los Angeles, at the San Pedro Terminal. Getting on board the ship was fast and efficient, from the time we dropped our bags until we were on the ship was under 30 minutes. We did not have to wait in any lines, were quickly checked in, and on the ship very promptly, which was fantastic with two small children.

Once onboard we went to our room and met our stateroom attendant. The room was what I expected, nothing too spectacular. We had the two pullman beds lowered, which makes the room feel even smaller. It was an obstructed ocean view room with a life boat covering the entire window. We knew this going in, so it was not a detractor to the cruise. Our stateroom attendant was friendly, but we did have some troubles understanding him (and likewise, him understanding us). Also, the room was quite warm and despite calling maintenance, we didn't get this problem resolved during the cruise.

We really liked the kids club for our oldest son, once we found that he was in heaven and enjoyed the activities that they had to offer. It was also nice for us to let him hang out there and play with some other kids. Our youngest is just a few months too young to hang out in that area unless we accompanied him, so his time there was somewhat limited but he did enjoy his time there as well.

The ship itself was nice, felt a slight bit dated in some respects, but overall still a good ship. We never felt as if the ship was overly crowded, we could usually find some loungers at the pool and the pools were quite empty most of the time.

We ate at the dining room two nights and the buffet two nights. I thought the food was ok, nothing that blew me away, but nothing that was terrible or that I would never eat again. The buffet had a good selection most days and was usually not too crowded with the exception of the last morning when the other venues were closed.

We visited Catalina Island and Ensenada. We did go ashore at Catalina, but not Ensenada. Catalina was very enjoyable, an interesting place to visit.

A few other items I liked about the cruise: I didn't feel as if Princess was forcing stuff on us, like pictures. The photographers asked, but a polite no was well received by the staff. I also liked that the disembarkation process was extremely well organized and efficient. It did not take long at all for us to get off the ship and through customs.

Sapphire Princess Cruises to the Mexican Riviera

No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Sapphire Princess Review
Sapphire Princess Cruises to the Mexican Riviera
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?