Carnival Glory Cruise Review by Cruiser1131

Cruise Date: January 2007
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Carnival Glory - Western Caribbean
I represent a party of (4) adults in our late 30's. My wife and I had cruised with Holland America before so this was our second cruise. The Holland America cruise was very enjoyable so we thought we would give cruising another try. The other couple in our party were first time cruisers. The great itinerary and the price were the main reasons we selected this particular cruise.

I have to be honest and say up front that I was skeptical about Carnival because they have been referred to as being a "Walmart" cruise line however, I was very pleased with the cleanliness of the ship, the quality of food and overall service we received. There was a definite difference in the type of passengers on board. The majority of passengers were middle age, over weight, loud and drunk. They largely preferred country music and left me with a hill billy impression. Based on our overall experience however, I would cruise with Carnival again. We do not have children and prefer to stay away from them because we find most kids to be irritating and rude. This was not an issue on this cruise as there were only 400 kids on our ship. I think a spring break cruise would be a totally different story. We booked an inside stateroom on the Riviera deck (lowest deck) about mid ship. I was initially concerned about noise etc. but it really was a great room. The entertainment on the Holland America cruise was suited for older folks so I thought the shows on the Carnival were better. We really enjoyed listing to Cassandra Swales sing. She really has an incredible voice....One other nice thing was that all the door handles on the ship had tissue boxes mounted near by so you could prevent germ spread to your hands. Great idea!

Embarkation throughout he terminal was efficient but boarding the Glory seemed strange because everyone entered the lobby deck which was congested. people lacked direction and seemed to get in each others way.

POSITIVE observations: Nice room. Very quiet. Excellent bed (down pillows and comforter) Nice shower and bath facilities. Entertainment was better than Holland America All areas were kept up well. Crew was constantly cleaning. Very friendly crew. Adequate gym and spa (although not as nice as MS Oosterdam) Fast elevators Plenty of deck space and chair availability Cool water slide - you need to try this! Great communication on board. The cruise director was very helpful. Good embarkation. The boob deck was awesome (for topless sun bathing)!!! Nice art presentations. Calming music selection in the Red Sail restaurant (soothing new age) Dinners in the formal dining room were very nice. Overall good food quality Buffet, fish and chips, hamburgers, pizza, brats, was all very good.

NEGATIVE observations: Slow disembarkation (because of immigration and customs) Excursions had too much shopping emphasis - what a waste of my time. Deserts at the midnight Gala Extravaganza looked good but weren't. Plastic cups and dishes in many areas (remember the Walmart factor) The Soda and juice card was almost $50 after taxes!!! what a rip! Bar tenders will not give you the can. Only small cups full of ice. Only soft ice cream and yogurt available at buffet and aft deck. Ship was somewhat confusing to get around the first couple of days. I didn't like the decor of the ship. Nothing matches and crazy colors. Air conditioning in the Red Sail Restaurant (buffet) was too cold. Dude 5 cabins down from ours was smoking pot he picked up in Nassau

COZUMEL - Always a nice place to visit. We went to Chankanaab.

BELIZE - Not impressed with the city. Very dirty with rude people. We took the cave-tubing.com tour which was alot of fun. Book this online instead of through Carnival. You can save $100.

COSTA MAYA - Very nice. This was my favorite port. Buyer beware of price changes on food and drinks on the beach. Check your receipt carefully.

NASSAU - Nice Island. Several private beaches and a lot of shopping opportunities. Natives were very rude and used alot of bad language.

Publication Date: 01/23/07