Royal Princess Cruise Review by OakJack1: Royal Princess a beautiful new ship but some negatives
Overall Member Rating
Royal Princess a beautiful new ship but some negatives
Destination: Eastern Caribbean
Embarkation: Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades)
Royal Princess is a beautiful ship, principally because it’s so new. This cruise was Jan. 14 with stops at Princess Cay, St. Thomas USVI and St. Maarten/St. Martin.
- Excellent service (one exception was a snippy check-in person at embarkation, but in my experience she’s not typical of Princess' staff)
- No wait times at all for anytime dining and food was good (not outstanding, but still quite good)
- Disembarkation was very smooth and well organized
- Loved St. John USVI and St. Maarten/St. Martin (highly recommend the Trunk Bay and Orient Bay if you like beaches/snorkelling/turquoise waters)
- Fewer pools than other ships (e.g. Caribbean Princess) – crowding and limited chances to enjoy a swim
- A lot of competition for deck space and chairs – some days no place to sit (there were chairs, just in the path of smoke from the stack, or in remote locations far from the pool and More in the blazing sun with no shade)
- Running/walking track is also in the path of smoke stack emissions
- Balcony space is much smaller than other ships
- Beds are uncomfortable (hard) and if the twin option chosen a large person (tall or wide) will be cramped. I remember this from other cruises so these beds (queen or twin configuration) are a Princess issue; space likely just the reality of smaller space to accommodate more passengers/cabins
- Embarkation was very slow – 2 hours from arrival at desk at airport (at the time Princess published) to arrival at Port Everglades (I think they have you wait...and wait...until there are enough to fill a bus)
That said I’d still do more cruising with Princess. Less
Read more Royal Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Royal Princess Review >>
My 20th Cruise and One of the ...
The Great Escape
The Freedom of the Seas ROCKS!...
10 Glorious Days!
Good Memories and a Relaxing V...
Not My Favorite Princess Exper...