“Cape Town to Mossel Bay 1st time cruiser ”
Cruise review of MSC Sinfonia

ecsonza@gmail.com MSC Sinfonia 4 Cape Town to Mossel Bay 1st time cruiser
ecsonza@gmail.com
Member Since 2014
No Forum Posts
1 Helpful Vote
Overall Member Rating

This was our first cruise on a ship. It was a local promotion which was really great value for money. My review is split between good and bad things:

Good things: what a fantastic way to enjoy the ocean. 3 nights was a good trial and for us it was definitely a winner and we loved it. We enjoyed the Turkish baths and the relaxation spa area was a great breakaway from the crowds on deck 11. Food galore - so you defintely won't starve but if you are watching your weight - be warned - temptation is everywhere. The pizza is basic magherita and the other choice was vegetarion - but oh so super delicious. We loved the Buddha Bar - chilled music and some really great artists.

Bad things: Stricter rules on use of the Turkish baths should be implemented. Persons under the age of 18 should not be allowed. There were noisy children running in and out of the showers and the baths which was very disruptive. We had an ocean view cabin on deck 8 - the bed linen really needs an upgrade badly - horrible pillows - you can feel the knobly sponge. The blanket was very worn out and tired and the beds were hard and uncomfortable. My husband and I are not "big" people, yet we found the shower area to be cramped. I don't know how the bigger sized people shower. We never got to enjoy the jaccuzi in the pool area - again - overun by children and certain guests just totally hogged the jacuzzi. The embarkment procedure at Cape Town harbour was totally disorganised and a long wait of 2.5 hours was not pleasant. There needs to be better signage and queue management. Several very confused passengers were trying to fathom out where to go. I did my booking on-line and thought I was specific about my request for restaurant seating but it seems this request was not actioned and then it was frustrating to get this changed once on board. Only the maitre d could change the seating arrangments and it was difficut to get hold of him.

I would definitely upgrade to a suite on our next trip - yes we will defintely go on another cruise.

MSC Sinfonia Cruises to Nowhere
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review:

8191
Cabin 8191 is small. Cabin is conveniently situated in the If you are a big built person you will find the shower area a bit of a squeeze. Horrible pillows - knobly sponge. Blanket is very tired looking. I would rank it 6 out of 10. On our 1st night abroad, we smelt a dreadful waft of fumes that smelt like burnt plastic. The smell eventually dissappated and we did not experience this again. So not sure what it was.

Port

This is by no means a port of international standards and is in dire need of a major upgrade if we are to attract cruisers. There a no facilities whatsoever, not even basic facilities like toilets. Our check-in time was 11h00, we arrived at 10h30, but only got on board about 13h00. There are no seats available for the elderly to rest and I don't know what parents with little children do if they need the toilet, let alone babies who need a nappy change. There is no shelter and in the hot sun this is very uncomfortable - not sure what happens if it should be a rainy day. Lack of decent signage on where to go - so very frustrating having to ask other passengers for help when they too are totally confused.

Published 01/27/14
Thank ecsonza@gmail.com
1 Helpful Vote
Read Cruise Critic’s MSC Sinfonia Review
MSC Sinfonia Cruises to Nowhere
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?