MSC Splendida Cruise Review by J-T-Travellers

Member Name: J-T-Travellers
Cruise Date: December 2013
Embarkation: Marseille
Destination: Western Mediterranean
See More About: MSC Splendida Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | MSC Cruises Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Entertainment 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+
Shore Excursions 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Ship Facts: MSC Splendida Review (by Cruise Critic!) | MSC Splendida Deck Plans
A gorgeous ship overall ... pity about the smoking though.

So there you have it in a nutshell. We loved our cruise overall but ended up practically bronchial from the vast cloud of cigarette smoke that plumed out of the casino and into much of the surrounding areas.

Perhaps you are considering sailing with MSC and would like more information than that one tagline.

Would we sail with MSC again? Absolutely.

Why?

Our embarkation in beautiful Marseille was a breeze.

The meet and greet crew were delightful.

The food in Villa Verde was very enjoyable.

Our cabin was the most spacious we have had on any cruise line so far.

The balcony was worth it.

The evening shows were spectacular. Seriously. Spectacular. Some of the dancers were a bit frumpy but the singers, acrobats, costumes, lighting and guest performers were outstanding.

The cabin crew, as on every cruise we've taken thus far, were wonderful.

The waiters were adorable.

The food was plentiful.

The cities we visited were gorgeous.

The Splendida is eye-poppingly stunning.

The Mediterranean is beautiful.

The ship is so large that it makes the sea seem very calm.

Even in winter we were able to swim in the lovely covered pool area.

What would we have liked to be different?

Personally I'd like to see the smokers herded off to a tender and trailled half a kilometre behind the ship but before you attack me for being unkind I'd like to inform you that I missed my one and only opportunity to visit the interior of the Louvre on the final day of our trip due to ill-health induced by attempting to extract oxygen from smoke filled air. And I have not had a cold in over 4 years! And I live a very long way away from Europe so it's not like we can just pop back over for a visit. I could go on...

Apart from that, I'd have liked to see an occasional movie or something interesting up on that big screen instead of the incessantly repeated shore tour promos. But that was no biggy really.

So yes, we would certainly cruise with MSC again.

If you have booked this cruise I expect you'll really enjoy it. I hope you do. Take some cough lollies.

Happy travels,

PS I just put all this info in the deck plan review and thought it might also be useful for people doing actual cruise research so here it is again.

This was a fine place. I was surprised that we were not upgraded considering that our "guaranteed cabin" cruise was booked a full year in advance and we paid full fare, when I noticed some really impressive sales as the year progressed. We made friends with a couple who had paid much less than we did and were in a much bigger cabin on deck 12. I'd say this was probably due to the Australian MSC booking office's way of doing things. If you do book through the Aust. office be aware that some of the most important information you need to action prior to your cruise is found only in the small print at the base of some, not all, of your documentation. I gave them feedback to this end suggesting they use at least bold text for this in future. So if you see your online booking form information appearing in bold, you can put it down to that :-) Or use a good travel agent. That should circumvent such issues.

However, we were perfectly happy with our cabin.

Publication Date: 01/27/14