Carnival Sunshine Cruise Review by ladewgirl

Carnival Sunshine
Member Name: ladewgirl
Cruise Date: January 2014
Embarkation: New Orleans
See More About: Carnival Sunshine Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Carnival Sunshine Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Carnival Sunshine Deck Plans
Rolling Eyes!!

This was my 5th cruise with Carnival in 4 years and never been on another cruise line.

Embarkation was it's normal self. One in my party had a cane and has trouble walking sometimes so we ended up in a different line where we didn't have to wait as long. I've always enjoyed leaving out of New Orleans though because of the ease at the terminal.

Once on the ship everything seemed pretty and clean, we walked around, got our drink card stickers and started exploring the ship. After finding our room, getting our luggage and finding our table for dinner that night we went to the mandatory safety meeting. At first they weren't telling anyone with disabilities where to go, I asked and was told to go to the piano bar. We get there and had to endure the crying and bantering of a lady who was upset. The staff really didn't know what to do so they just ignored her.

Diner that night was good, the weight staff asked our names, bar guy came around and got our drink orders and of course the food was good as normal although I never got my soda. The following nights the bar guy didn't come by, I finally got a soda day 4 and then not again for the rest of the cruise! One of my cruise members ordered coffee every night, the last night they brought the cup and forgot to come fill it up!

Our room was an interior cabin, midship closer to the back on deck 8 under the lido... room 8238. The room was smaller than other interior rooms that we have ever traveled in but for just the two in that room we were okay. We did have to call down after asking the steward twice if our beds could be separated. The biggest complaint I have about the room is the vents in the doors. I could hear every person talking as they walked down the hall. The drunks at night we can usually hear in a muffled way but with the vents we could hear them like they were screaming right beside us. I did try to cover the vent with paper but it did not muffle the sounds at all. Someone else said to put a rolled towel at the bottom of the door because the gap there was larger and that helped in their room. I tried that one night but didn't really feel it made that much difference.

Their normally is things to do like Giant Janga and other games down in the atrium. They did some trivia and such in the Ocean Plaza but I felt the Assistant Cruise director with the tattoo's on her neck was not very fun. At the I Love Lucy Trivia she made the comment on several occasions that she'd never seen an episode so she was really lost as to what some of the questions even meant. The cruise director Jamie was pretty good she did her best to keep people happy and smiling. I loved the Hasbro game show as well as the other shows in the Liquid Lounge. As always the Love Connection Game always has tons of laughs.

Food in the buffet area was cold on some days and on one occasion the bacon was so crumbled that I went and interrupted 3 people working in the area asking who I could talk to about getting the tub replaced. They couldn't help me but pointed me to the supervisor. He immediately started calling down to the kitchen and when the guy working that section got back he had him get us more bacon from the heaters below. I had to clean off a table to eat at when we went to sit down, my party wanted to sit by the back windows, and I was shocked that we finished our food and no one had come to clean off what I had moved.

The poor service didn't stop there, we actually had eyes rolled at us and when we asked one lady at the bar if she could get us a drink she said YAH I CAN GET YOU A DRINK! I asked her if she liked her job and she shrugged saying it didn't matter she was getting off the boat the next day!! One person in our party tried to get some popcorn one night and apparently he wasn't supposed to do that so the bartender slammed the door on his hand!!

When going to the tender in Belize we went to the waiting area in the Limelight Lounge. After sitting for 30 or so minutes we got the word that we could walk to the forward area to go down to deck 0. We walked all the way down and then started down the stairs. The member of our party with a cane tried the stairs but just couldn't, in fact he really hurt himself trying to keep up. I asked a crew member if we could take an elevator and she got us one, then some others from our line jumped on with us. The crew member should have stopped them and asked if there was any other handicapped people. We got to deck 0 and the steward down there told us we had to go to the end of the line up the stairs. We almost did not go to Belize we were so upset at the way they just did not understand that my handicapped person could not do that.

We have another cruise in May on the Dream but would have canceled had it been this same ship. I'm glad others had good experiences but we just did not!!

Publication Date: 01/26/14
More Carnival Sunshine Cruise Reviews

Read the previous Carnival Sunshine review Read the next Carnival Sunshine review

Cruise Critic's Carnival Sunshine Review