Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Review by melissa: The (mostly) Good, Bad and Ugly

123 Forum Posts

Overall Member Rating

The (mostly) Good, Bad and Ugly

Sail Date: January 2014

I want to start this review by saying we were on the Dancing With The Stars cruise but I am not going to discuss that aspect since it was a one time experience. It was absolutely wonderful. Couldn't be better. I want to concentrate on the actual cruise for the review.

First, we got to Fort Lauderdale the day before the cruise. Stayed at Alhambra Beach Resort. Great location, superb management, small room but extremely clean. Nice pool, right across from beach. Ate at next door restaurant, Casablanca Cafe. Fabulous. Do not miss.

Next morning took taxi to ship at 11. Super quick embarkation. We're on the ship by noon, dropped bags in cabin and went to the buffet which was Wonderful. Best lunch buffet at sea. This was my 31st cruise and I have eaten at alot of buffets. All different kinds if food and all delicious.

The cabin, regular balcony cabin on deck 4 was roomy, deep balcony. Three closets. Nice bathroom with a tub.

We ordered breakfast every More morning using the hangtag. Came on time and hot. Coffee delicious! Continuing with food, dinners were all wonderful. Ate at Pinnacle Grill one night. Not worth the $$. Food better in main dining room. However lunch in Tamarind was yummy and free.

I had alot of problems with my account which caused me to visit the front office 7 times. I prepaid for beverage cards at home. $500. They had no record of this and even when I presented my receipt and my credit card printout, they would not give me the cards. In addition I was to receive INC of $100, no record of that either, even when I presented verification. On the third day I finally spoke to the hotel manager who straightened it out. An extremely frustrating experience.

Our cabin steward was hit and miss.

Ports were great. Had a cabana on private island. Fantastic!!! Took Cozumel Beach Bash excursion which was really fun and got to see 3 different beaches. Went to beach in Grand Cayman and just walked around Key West. Do not miss the butterfly conservatory.

Pools on ship not crowded and fresh water.

Cruise Director Eric was hysterical and a really nice guy.

Casino nice size, not smoky, and could always get a machine or spot at a table

Now the ugly: the oldsters. So so many really elderly folks. Stopping in middle of hall's, pushing, rude, slow. I am no spring chicken(58) but I felt so young and so impatient. Just my opinion, no offense intended. I just don't think this age group is my cup of tea.

In conclusion I found this cruise a little more elegant and classy then most I have been on with fabulous food but I think if given a choice of strollers or wheelchairs, bring on the children. Less

Published 01/26/14

Read more Nieuw Amsterdam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Nieuw Amsterdam Review >>

Compare Prices on Nieuw Amsterdam Western Caribbean Cruises

Cabin review:

Cabin comfortable, nice size.

melissa
Member Since 2000
123 Forum Posts
Family & Children
Rates
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?
Skip X