Norwegian Pearl Cruise Review by Cupkakes

Norwegian Pearl
Norwegian Pearl
Member Name: Cupkakes
Cruise Date: January 2014
See More About: Norwegian Pearl Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Member Rating   Not Rated
Embarkation Not Rated
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Wonderful! Better than expected

My husband, and another couple sailed the Peal Jan 5-12th. Our friends FIRST cruise.

We sailed out of Miami, a port I have never been to. Since we live in Tampa, we decided to leave 5am Sunday morning to reach the port in time.

Arrival to Miami - chaotic to say the least. I was rushed out of my car, and my bags thrown with the porter. We arrived as some we departing from the ship, so it was busy.

Wait time was fairly decent. We arrived at the port at noon, and were on board around 1pm.

I love a massive atrium and lobby. You WONT get that here. When you enter the ship, you feel as if you entered a hotel. It was nice, but not as grand as I had expected.

We elected to get the ultimate drink package. What they FAILED to communicate was that you could ONLY purchase this from the main lobby bar, and not ANY bar. This was quite STUPID if you ask me!

Once we got our drink, we headed up to the pool deck, where It rained for a Florida minute.

We walked around and took pictures, and tried to learn where everything was.

This ship has a very odd layout. I am used to the casino, and main areas being close together. It seemed like you had to walk up down, all around just to get somewhere.

Upon entering our cabin, I was shocked to learn I did not have a coffee maker, despite other comments. So what if I am in an inside cabin... I deserve to have the benefit of having delicious coffee in my room too!

A quick call to reception changed that , and I was a happy camper.

Room Steward - I have no idea what his name was. He never introduced himself.

Our cabin was very clean and steward was friendly however.

Cruise Director - I have no idea. He was barley heard from. Instead a lovely woman did most of the talking. The only reason I know the cruise director was male, was from reading the dailies.

FOOD:

Buffet - it's a buffet. nothing. else. to mention. Breakfast was good , I will say.

Summer Palace Night one, service was awful. Our server had no personality. We sat AFT AFT, and I could feel every wave. Ugh.. maybe I was just tired.

Night two , we ate at Indigo. MUCH better service. BUT they really need to place restrooms inside of the restaurants!!

Night three Summer Palace, MUCH BETTER than night one. Roderick was GREAT! I didn't like ANYTHING on the menu, and asked the chef to prepare a pasta dish for me.

Night four, Indigo, again wonderful service. We were asked to complete a quick survey and were surpised to get a nice gift in our cabin later.

Night Five - ugh.. my husband caught something on this ship. Everyone coming on was coughing and sneezing... and my husband came down with something bad. We spent that evening in the cabin and ordered room service.

Night six- We buffeted it. After being in Cozumel all day, the last thing I wanted to was dress up.

Night Seven - we choose to do the Japanese restaurant. For 25/ person it was just OK.

PORTS:

Bahamas was nice. Water was cold. Overall nice day

Jamacia - we choose the bamboo beach VIP - FANTASTIC.

Grand Cayman - this place is just way too expensive. Frist of all, we choose to do the bike and snorkel tour. We boarded a bus, and then had to get off that bus to get on another one! Then we get to the tour area, and are equipped with old bikes and smelly helmets! I MEAN SMELLY!! No where does it state this is a 7 mile bike ride!!!! We stopped at a turtle farm ( could have done without ) , rum cake STORE ( could have done without ) and Hell ( Could have DEF done without. ) and finished at Tiki Beach for an HOUR OF SNORKEL.

THEN IT RAINED. and we left. DUMB, DUMB. one thing I learned... no more organized excursions.

Cozumel - We did our own thing. We rented scooters and explored. Totally fun!

SEA DAYS:

laying out - what else can I say. it was always packed , chair hoggers...

but one thing that really set me off, was on day 1 they were disassembling the SLIDE. I was looking forward to going on that thing! I learned later that they removed it for the cruise coming on AFTER US. They were building a stage. THANKS NCL - making my week of vacation deal with construction and no slide.

ENTERTAINMENT:

we aren't "show" people - so I really can't write a review. What I can comment on , is the games they offered. Newlywed Game - Hilarious. Sing It if you know it - HILARIOUS.

Comedian - TERRIBLE. he was awful. I wished I could have changed the channel... oh wait, I got up and left!!

Piano signer, very good and friendly.

Disembarking:

Chaos , chaos !! As soon as we entered the port and were greeted by a rude port worker, we all said " GUESS VACATION IS OVER! " Miami needs a lesson in manners.

Overall I had an amazing time. Lots of laughs, and fun memories. The bar staff was amazing! Actually, all the staff was amazing. super nice and accommodating. The ship was clean, décor was nice.

I was pleasantly surprised at all of it. Even more surprised that I liked the freestyle dining!

Publication Date: 01/26/14