Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by rengaw: A pleasant surprise after 40+ years of avoiding cruise vacations

rengaw
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

A pleasant surprise after 40+ years of avoiding cruise vacations

Sail Date: January 2014

My sister and I traveled with a large family/friends group recently. I had stayed away from cruises after being seasick in the early 70s on the Skyward NCL. To be fair, it was an inside cabin on a low deck and ships are much more stable now.

We had a wonderful time. My sister had Bingo and Trivia and a comedy workshop and I worked out, went to the spa, and took a cupcake decorating class.

We opted for a junior suite which was such a worthwhile choice. MUCH more room to move around and a really big balcony, compared to other rooms. Our cabin attendant, Claudette, was superb and surprised us as we returned from dinner each night with some little creation made from towels ( a bat, an elephant etc.) Every waiter and assistant were outstanding.

Food was glorious (and I am a foodie) with a couple of exceptions. The dining room was terrific. Food beautifully prepared and presented. Lots to choose from. The specialty restaurant Chops was very good. Almost the level More of Ruth's Chris or Morton's, but not quite. But why pay the extra when the dining room was so good? The dining room is a great place for breakfast too, although I loved the room service and coffee on the balcony in the morning. Don't miss the carved beef sandwich in the Park Cafe in Central Park. One of the best things on the ship, according to many, including me.

Don't bother with an ice cream cone on the boardwalk. Soggy cone, one little scoop of blah ice cream (which is funny, because the ice cream with dinner was great) all for about 3.50 each. They have a Starbucks; they should have a Ben and Jerry's. Also Johnny Rockets food (minimal extra cost) was so salty we couldn't eat our meals. Milkshakes and fries were good.

It was kind of annoying to me that all drinks (except tea, coffee, and flavored waters) are extra. So every Coke, club soda, juice, bottle of water is a charge. Some people purchased drink packages. May be worth it for some. Cocktails were not expensive.

They handle this enormous number of people very well. Lines were minimal. Disembarking is a long, long line, but moves along. Be sure to have a suitcase with good wheels or get a porter.

No one told me about having to put luggage out in the hall the night before we left. I did not have a big enough carry-on to accommodate all the stuff I needed to have with me to get ready the next day. Good thing I could borrow space in my sister's. Next time I would have something bigger than my little tote.

All in all a great vacation. Less

Read more Oasis of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Oasis of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Oasis of the Seas 7626

Highly recommend the Junior Suite. We were in other rooms visiting family and friends and this one was worth the upgrade.

Nassau… not worth getting off the boat unless you want to go to Atlantis. Very depressed. Lots of shops were closed.

Read 2662 Nassau Reviews