Legend of the Seas Cruise Review by sippin_pisco: Nice first ocean cruise ever

sippin_pisco
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Legend of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Nice first ocean cruise ever

Sail Date: December 2013

I felt I should write a review after reading some really unfairly negative reviews! We came on this Christmas cruise for the excellent itinerary and to spend time together as a family. We had a connecting room, 6602 and 6604 - the rooms were as big as the river cruise rooms - but I guess they were on the small side - but they did the trick. Yes, the ship rolled a bit - I put a patch behind my ear and was fine. It is after-all a boat on the ocean! Though one night, I did think I would sleep on the other side, so as to be less likely to fall out! I heard there were some winds to buck that night. Also, one night, I think Christmas Eve, they had to leave out part of the aerial display in the centrum as the chandeliers that the aerialists were using were swinging like crazy! Those aerialists were the greatest!

I liked the decor in the Centrum and also the room decor was nice. I liked the cafe on our floor 6 to sit and read and relax. I would walk up 3 flights and get a tea from More the Solarium area and bring it down to 6 and sit overlooking the centrum, but sometimes for a treat I would buy a cappuccino at the cafe there. Walking the stairs and having to pay extra for drinks, kept my intake to a minimum and hence, no weight gain! I read three books, met some amazing people - enjoyed all the ports! shopped a bit, relaxed and really enjoyed the food at the 830 sitting in the dining room. Our cabin steward was very pleasant - the servers in the restaurant were great. Breakfast in the restaurant also was excellent. The Windjammer was like the food court at a mall, so we tended to avoid that. We enjoyed the 3 pack of dining out - so we are at Izumi the sushi place, EXCELLENT, Chops Grille - pretty good, but we are spoiled at home with frankly better grass-fed Alberta beef, and the piece-de-resisitance, Chef's Table, which frankly, was the best meal that I have ever had - all 5 courses plus the breads were exquisite - definitely I would splurge on that again! Plus we got a cookbook with most of the recipes - a very nice evening.....However the dining room every night had very good to excellent food - was never disapointed..Fitness-wise, Yoga class was not really great. The fitness area seemed to small, but the spa area to charge extra was very spacious....! Kids were in the solarium area and not told to leave, which was annoying if you were trying to swim there...but I just like to sit and eat there, look at the ocean and read. Liked the track on the top deck - a couple of days were quite windy, so that was not good for safe walking! lots of deck chairs back by climbing wall - we sunned ourselves there. It seems that on cruises they try to make you spend your money, so be on guard for that - i.e. avoid the art auction or the 1 hour sales haha. And set a limit to how many photos to purchase! Again, it was the ports that were the most interesting and the big draw for me! I really liked the Carribbean photo album you could buy and the pages for doing a scrapbook. I look forward to cruising a lot of places in the future..... Less

Read more Legend of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Legend of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Legend of the Seas 6602

this room has a balcony now after the renovation in 2013. The room was small, like a river cruise room with bed, two bedside tables, desk, some drawers, closet with hangers, and bathroom. There was also a upholstered chair and a small coffee table. There was not a couch as indicated in photos. The bed was confy, the linen was clean and fresh. The drapes were nice. Was OK, a bit cramped. We had our big suitcases so they wouldnt fit under the bed once we unpacked. Also I forgot to bring extra coat hangers. We had an adjoining room with our daughters so that was nice. We asked 2x to open the adjoining balconies, but the staff seemed reluctant to do this!! not sure why!

Snorkeling

(5)

lovely catamaran sail - beautiful clear water to see fish - then to sunken ship site - scary dark blue water - I then decided to pack it in and drink some rum punch. No shortage of punch! Nice staff, clean boat and equipment.

Snorkeling

(3)

this was the most disappointing, as there were no turtles! the guides tried with bait and with banging a buoy, but no turtles! we only saw one swimming alongside the boat as we sailed to another location. Then we tried there, nada, then we could swim to a beach, but it was kind of mangy.....then we had rum punch, so that as always, perks you up a bit. There were nice folks on the cruise, and nice staff - but all in all, this was my least favorite island and least favorite excursion...however the family disagrees with me....!

Mangrove Boat Tour

(3)

Interesting, but next time I would just go to the beach instead. No birds to speak of. Very small boats and very small mangrove passages! the guide was excellent and very knowledgeable. She was from Holland, and told us about moving to Bonaire etc.

Everglades Tour

(2)

It was very interesting, and after having heard about the everglades all my life, I just had to see it! the place we stopped at, was a bit low - mid range - and the gater wrestling show after was borderline cheesy!! an experience, but not to be repeated! the Holland America group go to a place that has a zoo rather than gater-wrestling, so that might be more interesting....:)
Also, the tour quite kept waiting for this really slow family, so consequently we were rushed (and cranky) for our flight!

our stop was late in the day, at 2 p.m., so we had to rush to see the castle or fort, but it was a beautiful view, then rush to the beach, which was great! Nice hosts, rum punch, sandwiches. Nice bar on the beach with nice washrooms. would have brought my own snorkel next time to be able to do a spontaneous snorkel anywhere. Nice waves to swim in. lovely water. Lots of chairs well spaced. Grenada was one of our favorites.

Read 357 Grenada Reviews

Went to Orient Beach. Nice drive, good guide - beach way to crowded - you could hardly walk between chairs - the staff were very hardworking to get everyone accommodated. The lunch was very good - perhaps the best of all the beach excursions. Unfortunately it was really breezy, so our napkins were blowing away - but we made do! The waves are very big on that side of the island - too big to swim that day, at least for me. Whoever developed Orient Beach developed every square inch possible to maximize profits. Yup. I definitely would not go back there - I would try the other side of the island.