Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by sins069: Not as good as last year.
Overall Member Rating
Not as good as last year.
Destination: Eastern Caribbean
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
1/20/14. Cruised last year on NCL for 12 days in Carribean. Was a bit disappointed this year. just to be concise, my main points are:
* restaurant staff are primarily Filipino. Many do not speak english well and it is sometimes hard ordering a meal. It is also hard to understand their names when they tell you. I ate breakfast every morning in the Grand Pacific, and had an issue every morning. either they forgot something you ordered, or delivered your toast after you were done with your meal. If you can tolerate these things, then I recommend it. The buffet area is crazy. People are zig zagging all over, stopping when they please and it is sometimes difficult to get a table to sit. Ppl sometimes are done with a meal and are just sitting reading a book or lounging.
* recommend lunch at grand pacific a few times during your trip. philly cheese steak and chicken milanese are very good.
* dinners at grand pacific can sometimes be very time consuming. dinner at 7 More may not always get you to the 9:00 show at the stardust theater. this happened a few times. meals were pretty good and they will always bring you seconds when requested.
* ate at teppanyaki and cagney's steak house. would recommend trying both for the extra charge. was totally stuffed after the meal at cagneys.
* did 2 excursions. st thomas and DR. both were as explained and had a great time. went to orient beach in st maarten on our own. cab is $7 a person and beach chair with a drink is $7. way cheaper than excursion and you get to stay longer. stayed the past two years at good time charlies on the beach. water and sand are great.
btw, alcohol is cheaper in st thomas than on cruise ship so you should buy it there. they deliver to the ship in boxes for you.
didnt care for the comedian, michael somerville. he talked abt the same things for his regular and adult show and was not funny. chip romero, magician and comedian was much better. however, the best show was the ruckus caused in the atrium prior to the football game. ppl were moving chairs and yelling at each other. it was nuts. but it was funny sitting there watching ppl get so tight over a space.
Look, no matter where you go cruise or fly, your going to get some good and some bad. People are going to annoy you or do things that bother you. You cant escape it so its not worth ruining your vacation. We had fun with our family. Less
Read more Norwegian Gem cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Gem Review >>
My 20th Cruise and One of the ...
Great Family Cruise
Some Glitches, but Enjoyable F...
Good cruise, but NCL needs bet...
Ahhhhhhhh! Can't book another ...
4 English Seniors Given Satisf...
Give NCL a try!!!