Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by gatormom108: Your cruise is what you make of it! Wonderful weekend!

gatormom108
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Norwegian Breakaway Cruise to Nowhere Cruises

Your cruise is what you make of it! Wonderful weekend!

Sail Date: January 2014
Destination: Cruise to Nowhere
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

I have been on many cruises, but none in recent years. This was our first trip on the NCL Breakaway! I gave this to my husband for Christmas because I wanted more experiences instead of the usual "gifts". It was a wonderful gift - lots of before and after cruise talk! We will be back!

We arrived to the pier around 11:30 or so. We paid our $40 per night to park for convenience purposes! Check in was a breeze! The only delays were because people didn't have what the cruise line clearly asked them for. Bring your drivers license or passport when traveling on this 2-day cruise. Yes, your children need identification as well. We had 2 young travelers (7 and 9 years old) who did not have ID with them. Note: no luggage service for this cruise, so be prepared to carry what you bring.

During check in, you will be issued a card for each family member. You must hang on to it all the way up the gangway! It was incredibly smooth with staff greeting you the entire way. More

They started calling numbers around 12:30 - we were number 29. I think we boarded around 1:15 or so. The cabins weren't ready, but you could put your luggage in the lounge. We opted to be rebels and see if our cabin was ready. It was , so we put our luggage in our cabin and our vacation began!

We very much enjoyed our Deck 13 Aft Balcony cabin! What a beautiful view! I loved the bed being right next to the sliders! Our room was clean and roomy! Perfect for the two of us. I'm not sure I would have wanted a 3rd person in that cabin with us, but it does sleep 3.

My husband had ordered a bottle of wine and shrimp prior to our leaving port so that we could watch the NY skyline as we went out to sea! The shrimp was excellent and well worth it! Note: There is no room service during this cruise! However, if you pre-order, they do deliver items to your room.

Dining highlights:

The ribeye at Cagney's! Well worth the upcharge! Lobster Roll from Ocean Blue was another highlight! We enjoyed cannoli from Carlos' Bakery as well! NOTE: Everything was good, but these items stood out as special for us!

Shows/experiences:

We saw both shows - Cirque Dreams Jungle Dinner and Rock of Ages. The dinner show was great, food was "okay". When the server asked if it was okay if they served my meat "medium", I should have known to ask for medium rare. The meat kept on cooking and it was more than medium when it arrived. No pink center. The food wasn't bad, but it is what I expected from a dinner theater. You are there for the show. I was not a fan of Rock of Ages, but so many others absolutely loved it. I would not judge the show based on my review. I found it to be too long, too loud and quite frankly, the narration was annoying.

I wish I had brought a bathing suit! I had totally forgotten it had heated pools! Note: Bring bathing suit next time! Everyone looked like they were having such fun!

There is a Glow Party - so bring your white and get ready to get your glow on! There are no fireworks on the 2 day cruise to nowhere which is understandable.

Our ship was packed to capacity and that led to congestion in some areas - like the Atrium. Many people were just hunkered down in any bar area they could find just for a seat indoors "by the water". It was disappointing for us that kept searching for a place to sit for a drink. Keep this in mind when the outdoor activities are taken out of play due to weather, you then have to find a way to accommodate everyone indoors.

Sinan (sp?) was a great cruise director! Great personality for this job!

Many things we never saw and never experienced! We had a very enjoyable time and loved every minute of it! Your cruise is what you make of it! Less

Read more Norwegian Breakaway cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Breakaway Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Breakaway 13306

We loved our Aft-Facing Balcony! You won't get a better view leaving NYC that is for sure! It's beautiful as you leave NY and leave the harbor - passing the NY skyline, the Statue of Liberty and then under the bridge and out to sea you go! Our room was very quiet and has easy access to the aft elevators and staircase. Our room could sleep 3, but we preferred it for just the two of us! Our bed was indeed next to the sliding balcony door, so we could lay in bed and watch the ocean! Our cabin had a fridge, tv, hair dryer, room to store your luggage and then some! I would get this same room in heartbeat or less.