Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by venturer20: It is a pitty but some things just don't change

venturer20
Member Since 2013
1 Post

Compare Prices on Celebrity Solstice Australia & New Zealand Cruises

It is a pitty but some things just don't change

Sail Date: January 2014
Destination: Australia & New Zealand
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)

I thought it was me but after spending all afternoon reading the same problems with this ship I really wonder will they ever learn or are we the mugs for allowing it to continue.

Picture it, you have arrived on board nice welcome lovely decore, deceide to wonder around and find all the must see and do places take the bragging shots and then sit down for the rewarding drink or two you wait and wait and wait, by this time the wife wants a bottle so you go in search of the ever present drink waiters and bar staff (annoyingly so on other lines) . When finally located you wait in line to be told that you will have to pay the full price to purchase the bottle as it only comes in a glass in the drink packages and you are not allowed to have it in the bottle on your package as he was not a restaurant..Enough of the rules just charge me for the bloody bottle and give me a beer as well- no you need your other card to get the two drinks at the same time . njust give me the wine keep the More wife happy as the saying goes. 15 mins later we are both sitting down with our friends having our drinks. we continue to have to go to the bar all afternoon as not one drink waiter came near us. We are told that there is no more beer and what they had was not cold . we changed bars and the same story. We will forgive them today as obversley they are not use to Aussie drinking styles and tastes. Wrong the same attitude prevailed all weekend and the only time drink waiters came near us was in the restaurants so drinking between meals was discouraged. The R in R.S.A was definately Restrictrive and not Responsible. and the fact that waiter interpretations of what was allowed and not allowed on each of the drink packages varied across the ship, this came about as the same drinks or beverages were not available at all outlets or had run out .

The staff were very indifferent and uncooperative on several occasions as there was no incentive for them as we had already paid for the drink packages and don't dare ask for a mixer or martini that was not on a menu as it was simply met with a "can't do not on menu" response not with a helpfull if I have the ingredients"" or whats in it" approach as on other lines.

The Diamond in the rough was the 3 staff at the Ensemble Lounge Bar that made the pre dinner drinks a memorable moment each night.

The rest of the ship experience was ok. I agree with other comments in the way of activities as this ship is a very big bus and not a activities ship. if you want to sit, read, unwind and relax between destination ports it may fit the bill but for me it is too sedate boring and closed in. and as to why they devote such a large unuseable area for grass is amazing roped off "grass is resting" only in america. Less

Read more Celebrity Solstice cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Solstice Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Solstice 8259

Very roomy, large firm and comfortable bed, bathroom adequate. Storage ok. the room is very quiet with the verandah glass door closed but noisy with it open and not the wind noise but conversations from the other verandahs