MSC Divina Cruise Review by TravellingTRS

MSC Divina
MSC Divina
Member Name: TravellingTRS
Cruise Date: January 2014
See More About: MSC Divina Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | MSC Cruises Cruise Deals
Member Rating   Not Rated
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Ship Facts: MSC Divina Review (by Cruise Critic!) | MSC Divina Deck Plans
MSC Divina to Cayman and Cozumel

Divina truly is a beautiful ship. The color choices in the public areas are nice and most of the design choices throughout the ship are tasteful, if sometimes eclectic. The multiple pool areas and bars are well designed and the main theater is particularly nice. The atrium features Swarovski crystal staircases which you'll either think are very elegant or very gaudy (ask how much each stair costs before deciding).

I was impressed by the food on the Divina and really have zero complaints about how the food was prepared or what was offered, especially the wide variety of fresh fruit available. Divina has 2 specialty restaurants and a third that apparently is open only certain days. We ate at the steakhouse restaurant twice and service was excellent. What I didn't like was the ala carte prices for everything on the menu, which pushed the cost of our meals over what I expected a cruise ship restaurant to charge.

Something to keep in mind when cruising on Divina is that it's a big ship with a lot of people. Just how many people are on board is clearly evident at busy times in the buffet and up on deck when looking for available chairs. If you're used to cruising on smaller ships, the number of cruisers on Divina can feel overwhelming. (Personally, the larger number of people made me uncomfortable.)

Service on the ship was definitely different than what I'm used to on other ships. Based on 8 previous (non-MSC) cruises, I'm used to bar servers continually walking around in plain site up on deck asking if you need a drink. Not so on Divina. That said, the bar servers in the interior bars were very attentive. One thing that bothered me was that MSC apparently doesn't allow you to add an extra tip for your bartender or server on your drink bill, something we always do on cruises. And MSC actually recommends (in print) that you shouldn't tip employees. Maybe that's a European custom, but that's not how things work in the U.S. Before the end of the cruise I made a point of finding specific employees to give them cash tips.

What I found most unfortunate during the cruise is that a number of employees didn't seem happy to be there. Hopefully management listens objectively to employee concerns and makes appropriate changes if necessary to keep the best employees.

In summary, I'm glad I sailed on Divina and experienced what they have to offer. But I won't do it again. I'll gladly return to NCL, Celebrity or Royal Caribbean.

Publication Date: 01/24/14