Pride of America Cruise Review by flseagal

Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+
Shore Excursions 5+

Better than I expected

I am 60 my husband is 70 and we are very active people who live in Florida. I am a retired travel agent so we have been on every mainstream cruise line and have cruised many times. I almost canceled this cruise because of the reviews and boy am I glad I didn't. I am going to make this short and to the point.

Pros: This ship is nice after the refurb last spring, it is clean and well decorated. I thought it was very pretty. The staff was really nice and helpful. The ports of call were great and the tour areas were well organized and there were people there to direct you. The one ship tour we took was good and I feel like we got a lot for our money. It was in Kona and was called "By Land and by sea". It didn't get very good reviews but I thought it was well worth it and everyone seemed to have a good time. We used Mary Lou's Big Islands guided tours in Hilo and they are wonderful, inexpensive and only take six people at a time. I highly recommend them. We used Safari helicopters in Kauai and they were great also. The entertainment on the ship was geared toward an older crowd (60+) There was a very good Polynesian show and a great tribute show in the theater. We also enjoyed the 50's, 60's music, the Beatles and Eagles tribute in the Mardi Gras lounge. There was also a good performer in Pinks Champagne bar. We like to dance and unfortunately we found Pinks the last night and didn't get to dance as much as we would have liked to. You can also dance the night they do the 50, 60 music. We do gamble a little bit but did not miss the casino at all. Saved us some money not having one!!! There was also entertainment in the dining rooms. An older piano player in the Liberty, which is the dressier dinning room and even better entertainment in the Skyline which is the less dressy dining room. We didn't figure that out until the last night. We also ate in the diner one night and really enjoyed it. No atmosphere but the food and the brownie desert was fabulous and I am picky about food. We even talked one of the waiters in the Liberty into getting us a brownie desert in the main dining room!! We watched the championship college football game in the Gold Rush Saloon where they have fresh popcorn!! Great sports bar. There is a great area to eat and relax in the aft area of deck 11 and a hidden pool we forgot about in the aft area of deck 12. Don't miss those areas!! They have a barbecue the last afternoon by the pool. There was great entertainment and the food was very good. It reminded me of the private island food that most caribbean cruises have. The buffet was good. We ate breakfast and lunch a couple of times. Most people were off the ship for lunch. The one thing I really appreciated was, no one hounded us to buy drinks around the pool or in the bars. The people on the ship were dressed nice at night and I didn't see anyone acting crazy!! The ages varied from 20's - 80's and we met some very nice people who we enjoyed spending time with.

Cons: The staterooms are very small but do have a lot of storage space. The food in the dining room is just average. The service in the dining room is also just average, but they are so busy with the anytime dining. They don't have any set dining, but you can make reservations. The service in the Italian special dining was not good, but they gave us a bottle of wine, which helped our attitude!! Room service was on time but the choices for breakfast were just cold stuff and the fruit was rotten both times I ordered it. Not enough chairs around the pool area. Also the port areas are not attractive at all and they are not close to much. And the number one thing I didn't like was the price of this cruise!!! Twice as much as a normal cruise!!!!!!! I know things cost more in Hawaii but unless you can wait until the last minute to book this cruise you will pay the price. Be sure to watch the price after you book the cruise. It will probably go down.

In closing I would like to say we really enjoyed the cruise and liked the fact we saw so many ports without flying and staying in hotels. Get a room on the port side with a balcony for the Na Pali Coast cruise by. Be sure to check out the diner and the brownie desert. Don't go on this ship if you are looking for a party atmosphere or late night entertainment, but do go if you want to see some of the most unbelievable scenery in the world. If you go in the winter be sure to take jeans and a couple of jackets. And remember one thing. Cruising is only as good as you make it, regardless of what ship you are on!!!!!

Publication Date: 01/24/14