Carnival Victory Cruise Review by spazilla1: Loved our Cruise!

spazilla1
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Carnival Victory Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Loved our Cruise!

Sail Date: January 2014

This was our third Cruise total, and our third cruise with Carnival. (if looking for pictures, sorry - have none this time). We were on the Victory out of Miami. We live in Florida so around Melbourne, which is about a 3 hour drive to Miami. The last time we sailed our of Miami we used a park and go parking lot which was very convenient and easily located. This time we used the same company and what a nightmare. In other words, almost enough to make me pay the port fee to park my car! First we could not find the lot, they had moved and the information was not easily given in the paperwork, then we tried to locate them and calling was a joke. Finally found them and all worked out.

Now, the cruise itself was awesome! Had good weather in both ports - Ocho Rios, and Grand Cayman. !

Grand Cayman, is more upscale, and the tour was not as good, next time I think we will take the trip to 7 mile beach instead. Basically we just drove around, the tour guide was hard to More understand but she did her best and cannot knock her for trying. Went to the town of "hell" and stopped at the turtle and dolphin swim, but just to observe, next time I think we will go to Dunns Falls instead.

Food - the food was okay - we only ate in the main dining room one time, the rest of the time we ate at the buffet even though we had Anytime dining. DH does not like crowds and since you almost always will be seated with others he preferred the Buffet.

Activities - were plentiful. We went to the Hairy Chest Contest and almost laughed out butts off. The name that tune on the Promenade by the Casino one afternoon was great too! We went to the Casino (who doesn't??) and of course lost! We only had 1 disturbing incident in the casino and that was when I went to cash out my winnings on the first night, and was given $100 back too much. I pointed that out to the fellow and he said it was on my card. Since it was the first Sea Day, what did I know? so we decided to hang onto it and put it in the bank when we got home! (Tip to newbies - if somebody says your sail & sign card is not logged in and they need to go to one of the slots to log you in - make sure when they check you out you do not get more than you were expecting to!) Good thing we did too - because on the 4th day out we were approached by the Manager who practically accused us of stealing somebodys money! It appears that when the casino fellow uploaded my birthdate and pin on the machine he also uploaded somebody's $100, (although to this date I am still wondering how he did that!) We got that all straightened out and he comped us two drinks but not before we had to explain ourselves over and over again. Valentin was the manager and basically it came down to us telling him to "check the security camara". That was the only weird thing during the trip however.

Other than that we had a great time - our cabin was always made up and we had fresh towels and all the plumbing worked as it should (have seen notes in here about things backing up etc etc).

We did not go to the Seaside theatre, maybe next time. and we did not see either of the Stage Shows, although we did go to one of the Comedy acts in the Punch liner.

Karaoke, was pathetic - but the last cruise it was good, so basically it depends on who is involved and this time there were not many - at least on the one night we went. We were not disappointed just found something else to go on to.

Food was good in both the Main dining room, and the Buffet.

The one time the Captain came on to notify us that we were heading into a cold front with another right behind and to make sure we had our jackets and sweaters out for the disembark as it was going to be very cold in Miami when we got there the next morning. I found that to be extremely considerate of him. (also you could have heard a pin drop when he came on the PA and said "this is the captain speaking I have an announcement...." ).

All in all we had a terrific time - we are hooked on cruising now - and will be going again. Less

Read more Carnival Victory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Victory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Victory Interior Empress 7414

Awesome cabin! We had an inside cabin on the Empress Deck, aft. We do not mind a little noise so the docking and the launch preps when we came into port did not bother us. Only had 1 night when our neighbors woke us up out of a sound sleep, but they soon quieted down and was nothing worth bothering anybody about. Thin walls! A word about the cabin steward - was a very nice fellow, and we saw him when we needed to and the one time we asked for some Ice we had it every night thereafter. He remembered our names when we saw him, I think it was gupthram and he was really great!

Island Tour

(2)

:Mostly this was a tour of condos along the beach. Not a great tour, but it would probably have been better if we could understand the tour guide a little clearer. She was great but hard to understand. We went to Hell, and stopped at the turtle farm and saw the Dolphin encounter. It was really cute. We returned back to the port with about 2 1/2 hours left to shop. But since we are not really into that we basically took the tender back to the boat early.

Island Tour

(5)

We did the tour of the town with a lunch and a swim at the beach - both were great, and we were there long enough to enjoy the water and eat at a leisurely pace, my DH even had a 15 minute massage. The people were terrific, but you could see the damage was still everywhere from the hurricane in 2004 I think. The island was beautiful ! Our tour guide was knowledgeable about the area and funny!