Majesty of the Seas Cruise Review by jabell

Cruise Date: January 2014
Destination: Bahamas
Dining 5+

Some Good, Some Bad

This was our 7th Royal Caribbean Cruise and our second on Majesty, although the first was about 15 years ago. Our 19 year old granddaughter cruised with my husband and me, and we had the owner's suite. It was very spacious with a large balcony and two very big beds (although our granddaughter's bed had been the couch). She wanted her bed out so we had no couch. The chairs were VERY uncomfortable--low seats, which were hard to get out of, and low backs with almost no support--nothing like the chairs we have in our home. They were very hard to read in or watch television in for any length of time. I was unable to get anything but lukewarm water out of the shower, although my husband & granddaughter assured me they got hot showers. Although I don't care for tub showers, preferring stall showers, I wouldn't have minded except that the tub was high and hard to get into and out of. Television was lousy. The selection of programs was bad and several times we lost our connection. We saw Mortal Instruments four times--Lily Collins is beautiful and Aidan Turner (who was the handsome dwarf in The Hobbit) is real eye candy! Our cabin attendant was a delight. She couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. We loved her.

I thought the food on the ship was great, especially the desserts. I still fondly remember a chocolate soufflé with coffee sauce and a bay shrimp appetizer with such great sauce that I had to sop up every bite with my rolls! My server said I could get it again if I wanted even though it wasn't on the night's menu. I did, and so did my granddaughter. The servers were great as well. I wasn't as crazy about the Windjammer. Some of the food was very good, others just mediocre. They did not have tomato juice or V-8 at breakfast, but they sent down to the dining room for some. We ate the rest of our breakfasts in the dining room. Although I don't drink a lot of soda, I was extremely disappointed that it was not free; I feel soda, like iced tea and coffee and milk, should be free. We didn't make it to Johnny Rocket's, which I would have enjoyed, or to the pizzeria.

The shops at Centrum were very disappointing. I could not even get a tee shirt for my other granddaughter in size XS. There was almost nothing for small kids; it was very adult-centered. Fortunately I was able to get her gifts in Key West.

My husband & I did not go ashore at Nassau because it was too cool for us, but our granddaughter did go and walked around. I thought the tours were too pricey. We didn't go to Coco Cay because it was too windy and they were afraid the weather was too bad to send the tenders. The Centrum was a zoo that day!

Key West, although a little cool and drizzly, was fun. We knew our way around there and enjoyed a great lunch at the Rooftop, where we had eaten before. We did the Conch Train tour again and enjoyed it a lot.

Customs and disembarking were very easy. I have no complaints at all about any of the crew; they were great.

Although I have had a desktop for years, I finally have a laptop which I brought with me. I thought the price of the computers from earlier trips was basically a rental fee for the ship's computers; I was wrong. Not only was the price of wi-fi exorbitant (I couldn't afford to do the daily Mega Sudoku, which is a habit of mine that I look forward to every day), but I couldn't use the computer in my room. I would have had to go to a hot spot on another deck! And of course my smart phone didn't work without paying either their fees or large Verizon fees! That was a true bummer!

If my expectations hadn't been so high, it would have been a great trip. My next one will be on a larger, better-appointed ship.

Publication Date: 01/22/14