Celebrity Millennium Cruise Review by Binkmann: Major Disappointment

Major Disappointment

Sail Date: January 2014
Destination: Asia
Embarkation: Singapore

We booked the "Gems of Indonesia" cruise several months in advance, and carefully counted down the days until departure. The itinerary was excellent, and as a huge Apple fan, could hardly wait to shop the onboard Apple store, and participate in the advertised iLearn classes.

The embarkation process was quick and painless, and although quite small, found our room comfortable. One thing that struck me right away was the general lack of enthusiasm from the crew. They all seemed tired, burned out, and one actually stated they hated long cruises because they get tired of the same passengers. The Apple store was a joke, selling just a couple of Apple items, which were at least a generation old, and for top dollar. I believe Apple would not be pleased if they knew. The Apple iLearn classes were no where to be found, and my asking seemed to annoy to the staff. The required beverage packages were a joke, we basically spent $32 a day (for my wife and I) to get one bottle of water, and More one diet coke each. NO FREE WATER! Half the time we could not locate a station open to get these items. The cost of these packages/shore excursions nearly doubled the price of the cruise. Shore excursions were expensive and disappointing, often getting to spend less than 30 minutes at a site I had looked forward to exploring for months. One evening on Bali, passengers had to wait 90 minutes to get on a tender and taken to the ship. I saw 2 ambulances come and go to take away passengers who had become ill in the heat. The topper was a mid cruise dinner where a piece of glass was in my roast duck, it shattered when I bit down, and caused my mouth to bleed for several hours. The staff seemed less than concerned, and I felt like they believed I had made it up. Sadly, the most educational thing we did during the cruise was attend a multi part seminar, Buddhism 101 by Marshall Stern. Excellent, and the 60 minute talks were longer than the time we got to spend at most of the temples, that I had waited so many months to see. Bottom line, this was our 3rd Celebrity cruise, and will be our last. Less

Read more Celebrity Millennium cruise reviews >>