Legend of the Seas Cruise Review by bebrbabe: Less than Legendary

Compare Prices on Legend of the Seas Southern Caribbean Cruises

Less than Legendary

Sail Date: January 2014
Destination: Southern Caribbean

This was my 8th cruise, and the third on RCCL; We chose this cruise for the ports of call, assuming the ship itself would be of the same quality as prior Royal cruises - especially since it was recently refurbished; This was not the case. The cabins were old and worn and facilities are lacking compared to other ships; Staff/service seemed burned out or downright poor; Live music is very sparse at best, limited to mostly big band music. Hope you like to ballroom dance, because there's a lot of it. Even for Sail Away when you'd like something festive or relaxing, we had to endure microphones blasting at full volume at the Pool nearly daily for line dancing classes often attended by 9 people or less. One of the things they tout for the refurbishment was the aerial performance in the main entry way; Unfortunately the venue is WAY too small for it so most people couldn't see up the narrow "tube" of that part of the ship, and either you missed something up top or down below; I eventually More gave up on two of the 'shows' and went back to my stateroom; The ship was full of (occasionally pushy, mean, entitled) senior citizens and (consequently perhaps?) the nightlife was nearly non existent; (some of these people were actually heckling dancers in the main lounge! Embarrassingly bad behavior) I would not recommend this ship for anyone less than 50, actually as there isn't much to do. The food/menu on this ship was also particularly boring; I've never been on a cruise where some form of turkey and gravy was a Featured Entree every night in the MDR! Lack of imagination, regional cuisine, variety was apparent in both the MDR and WJ. Thankfully the ports of call were fabulous. As another reviewer noted, I wouldn't recommend this ship for a long haul ocean voyage either because it bobbed around like a cork and many people were affected, including my traveling partners who have never been bothered by motion sickness in all their cruises; I'm sure its safe, but it doesn't seem to have the stabilization features of newer vessels. Short story -- 'one and done' on the Legend of the Seas for us. Less

Read more Legend of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Legend of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Legend of the Seas 7504

Choose Deck 7 to avoid Deck 8's noise of Deck 9 in the ceiling; Deck 6 balconies have an overhang the full length of the ship limiting view; Deck 7 forward is the captains quarters and we bumped into him in the hallways frequently; (nice guy). Also -- WJ is forward on the Legend of the Seas, rather than aft like so many others;

Snorkeling

(5)

We did the Catamaran Cruise with Lobster lunch and had a beautiful day on the ocean under sunny skies with maybe 20 people on the boat in total; The crew is laid back and fun, we stopped at two beautiful beaches for ample time to relax, swim and sun; On one of them, a few wanted to snorkel so they took them out to a reef in a dingy. Didn't look like the safest situation (no life jackets, etc), but everything worked out fine; The lunch was delicious with absolutely HUGE lobsters for everyone, so big I couldn't finish; All in all, a great day;

Beach Break

(4)

We went out to Spice Mill via excursion from the ship, as I wanted to visit Cockleshell Beach and had heard it could be difficult getting a taxi to/from; The beach was nice and my intell was wrong for how easy it would have been to book this excursion on my own! Taxis were easy, don't waste your money on the excursion from the ship;

We had planned to do the Escape to Jost Van Dyke, but it was cancelled due to weather; At the shore excursion desk, the rep was pushing the few available openings on other excursions, none of which were appealing esp due to the cost; I asked he about just getting a taxi to Cane Garden beach and he said "you could maybe get a taxi out there, but getting one to get you back to the ship would be difficult"; This was the same guy I saw on the ever-repeated RC commercials on the stateroom TVs, so am assuming he was in charge at the Shore Excursion desk; Short story: gimme a break! It couldn't have been easier to get to/from Cane Garden; Just stop at the info booth right at the pier and you can get taxi a fixed price with no hassle at all for $8pp each way. I nearly fell for the Royal Ripoff! Won't make that mistake again. Tortola is very friendly and easy to get around: they're British afterall. haha

Read 502 Tortola Reviews