Carnival Glory Cruise Review by janewe: JUST OKAY

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Western Caribbean Cruises

JUST OKAY

Sail Date: January 2014

Started off well with good weather out of Miami. We arrived at about 10.45 for the 4 pm sailing. Embarkation was efficient and we were checked in and on the Lido within the hour. We made our way to Guy's Burgers having read rave reviews but we were disappointed. I had to disgorge the last mouth full as it did not taste good. What a contrast to the Burger I had after the Cruise at the Big Pink on Collins in South Beach. Now that was a Burger, a 10 oz Angus, wow!

We were pleasantly surprised to get into our Aft Balcony on the Empress at around 1 pm and our luggage showed up shortly thereafter. We met our Steward, Rannie, nice person, always had a smile and provided good service for the entire week. We took a walk around the Ship and found it very clean and in good shape.

We were impacted by bad weather and unable to tender into our first Port, Grand Cayman. We were notified of this at the last minute. We had a rocky voyage from there to Cozumel where we arrived to wet, More windy weather. Carnival could do a better job of providing on screen weather forecasts. We were left in the dark. The next stop was Belize and we did receive a letter the night before to say excursions were cancelled. We had nothing planned so it wasn't a concern. On day five, we eventually got good weather and toured Roatan. Seeing the poverty and all the garbage was depressing. We ended up at West Bay Beach which was nice. Our Tour Guide was very good but I took what he said about having next to no crime with a a grain of salt. I was not surprised by the report on Cruise Critic a couple of days ago that a family from the Carnival Conquest was robbed at gun point. They rented their own car and went off the beaten track, not a smart thing to do in some of these Countries. There was a State Dept. Advisory on Honduras on December 23rd and Roatan is only 30 miles away.

The food on the Glory was okay but not outstanding. The basics for breakfast and lunch were fine. We only used the MDR once for breakfast. Our eggs benedict was poor, the eggs were not not cooked and the sauce was not good, service was slow, no coffee refills, we didn't go back. Service was also slow at evening meals, we had any time dining and usually eat around 7.30. In many cases it took half an hour to get the appetizer. The only exception was the last elegant night when it came quickly. Perhaps others complained, we didn't and it did not bother me. Regarding the lack of table cloths on non elegant nights, less of a concern than I thought but the glasses do cause puddles on the bare tables. The entrees were hit and miss, food that was stewed was fine but both the flat iron steak earlir in the week and the Filet Mignon on the last night were tough. As always, the chocolate melting cake was very good, tasty I mean, not good for my waist line. I brought a Jacket for Elegant night, my wife a dress. Only 50% at best, wore a jacket, I will not be packing one on my next Cruise.

We saw a few shows, mostly Adult Comedians, the first one was good, the others average. We saw a Comedian/ Magician and he was good. We saw the Divas Stage Show. My wife enjoyed it, can't say I did. The Cruise Director was okay, we appreciated only hearing from him now and again in contrast to the Cruise before when that Director talked non stop and was very annoying. Due to the poor weather, not Carnival's fault that I know of : ) and taking everything else into consideration, I could not give this Cruise more than three stars. Less

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>