Carnival Legend Cruise Review by dakkotacruise: Legend is OK, but I'm over it

Compare Prices on Carnival Legend Western Caribbean Cruises

Legend is OK, but I'm over it

Sail Date: December 2013
Embarkation: Tampa

This was my 9th Carnival Cruise, taken over NYE and the 2nd time I've been on Legend. Being the first time I was on it was the worst ship I've been on, it's a wonder I gave it another shot. I also got caught up in the VFIP transition and my next cruise was supposed to get me to Platinum, now I need to do 5 more 7 day cruises to get to that level. Good thing I don;t care about getting a plate full of chocolate strawberries in my room as Platinum is so overrated. I know how to get on and off the ship right with the Platinum people, so no real biggie, it's just the principle.

So let's get to the major improvement - The Serenity Deck Lounge - yes the weather sucked most every day, but it was so nice to be separated from the pool kids and hot tub teenagers, and it was really comfortable back there. Not overcrowded either, maybe because of weather, or the limited crowd, whatever, we spent a lot of time there. Most of the staff was fine to great, no real personalities that stuck More with me this time no matter who called me by first name. I also had a real nice Ribeye in the Steakhouse one night, I thanked all the chef's, wanted them to know I appreciated their efforts. Here's my biggest peeve with this ship, and I realize entertainment is completely subjective, but for me, it was rather boring. The Piano guy was sick but 2 nights of the week, certainly nobody's fault, but that was mostly out. There were no good live bands, one night I did see a band in one of the lounges, nobody was in it. There was virtually no live entertainment on the Lido deck, now some of that is weather related, but the Lido deck was dead at night other than NYE. The band that night was a blues band - boring - first cruise I've been on without any type of steel drum reggae act. Maybe I'm spoiled, but man it makes a difference. My fave NYE is when Average Joe Cruise Director introduces Stevie Wonder to the stage. Now Carnival, he was convincing, so much in fact you had all these people believing it was really him. Shame...you should at least have Elvis do an encore so the smaller brains could have put that together instead of rushing the stage with their camera's. Carnival doesn't have the $$ to invest in good comedians so don't sell the real deal like that. Mostly, we were in Karaoke which was decent and so improved over the first time I was on the ship. The lady then was the worst I've ever seen and I used to run Karaoke. I also used to DJ, and DJ Tony Five Star is the biggest joke south of Florida. Worst DJ, mixing skills made me cringe, zero personality, clearly doesn't like or want to play the retro, and the retro is the only time we go to the dance club so Carnival failed on this cruise, about 4 total hours of I'm 40 and want to dance music.

We took a snorkeling excursion in Belize - too many flippers in your face, not much to see, save your $ for another excursion. The staff was nice though, they took good care of my wife after she stepped on a conch shell that went right through the flipper into her foot and required 3 stitches.

The medical staff on the ship was also great. Carnival even stopped her Cheers program because she couldn't drink with the Anti-biotic prescribed. I love the Cheers program - this one is a good call by Carnival all around. I had a great time as usual because of the people I was with, but I'm done with the Legend. I remember really great cruises on Glory and Elation, and Inspiration. I need to get back on those ships to see if they are still good. Less

Read more Carnival Legend cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Legend Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Legend F6171

Happy with the room, and happy with the staff!