Disney Fantasy Cruise Review by kmaxwell

Disney Fantasy
Member Name: kmaxwell
Cruise Date: November 2013
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
See More About: Disney Fantasy Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Disney Cruise Deals
Member Rating   Not Rated
Dining Not Rated
Public Rooms Not Rated
Cabins Not Rated
Entertainment Not Rated
Embarkation Not Rated
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Fantasy is not a ship you expect - don't bring your valuables

Our Disney Fantasy Cruise 11/9 through 11/16, 2013 Western Caribbean was our 8th cruise with Disney, so we are Gold members. I don’t like to write reviews, but in this case I feel it necessary that other customers know what happened to us and be weary that it could happen again.

I was very sick with a cold the entire trip. The night before, our final night sailing, we had dinner and our dinner head server gave us a ticket for the morning departure breakfast for 8 a.m. at Enchanted Garden. I went to the room shortly after not feeling well and did not finish dinner. As many nights on the cruise, I did not finish, or didn’t participate in the dinners. That night when I returned I had to remove my rings because my hands were so swollen from my sickness and placed them on the cabin counter.

The morning of departure, we were getting ready for breakfast, when suddenly on the loud speaker we were “all passengers” to leave the ship by 8 a.m. Well, this changed our course of the morning and we skipped breakfast and rushed furiously to leave the ship. This is when I accidentally left my wedding rings (worth 18K), pair of earrings and two pairs of sandals (men’s and women’s pairs) in the stateroom at Port Canaveral. Only after we had gotten to the room at Disney Bay Lake towers that morning around 10:30 AM is when I realized I had left these important valuables in the room and tried to reach the cruise line. We contacted lost and found and they said there is no way we can call or board the ship to recover the items. We tried calling the main Cruise line number and spoke to several people. All stating the same thing…that we could not contact the ship. We had since made exhaustive efforts making hundreds of phone calls to Disney Cruise Line to try to recover our items. Talked to over 3 departments and 10 people within the cruiseline. To beat all, we were told several weeks later we could in fact have reached the ship and spoken to someone – that came from security.

I have since filed a Police Report, a report with Port Authority, FBI and Coast Guard. Nothing.

All Disney says in the three departments that we were told to contact - Risk Management, Security and Lost and Found is sorry and Risk Management (no help at all) says your loss isn’t covered, stop contacting us. Shocking, isn’t it? In fact, when we asked what happens to the sandals that get left behind like ours, we were told by security they are disposed of due to sanitary reasons. Wow! So there is no real bother to contact Lost and Found in the first place for anything because it goes into a black hole and is never seen again.

In fact, I'm getting a very RELAXED attitude from the cruise line.

I’ve since been contacted by Disney Vacation Club since we reached out to them for help. This is the only branch who seemed to care about the outcome and do the due diligence to find out if DCL had in fact investigated our loss. If it weren’t for the executive offices at DVC contacting me to reassure me that it did in fact get investigated and still is being investigated through the FBI I would not be able to sleep at night.

I am a florida resident, Disney vacation club member, and a gold Disney cruiser and I AM APPALLED AT HOW I'M BEING TREATED WITH THIS scenario with DCL! I feel its important that other cruisers know that you SHOULD NOT BRING VALUABLES on ANY DISNEY CRUISE for the risk that you will never see them again. WATCH YOUR BACKS!

In fact this was my only cruise on the Fantasy and have resolved myself that it will be my last on this particular ship!

I was hopeful that Disney Fantasy and its crew and employees would do the right thing and find my rings, I’m so disheartened and can’t believe it has come to this. I am crushed over my rings being gone, but people need to know when its LOST IT IS NOT FOUND!

Sad ending

Overall cruise rating:

ACTIVITIES: We took two excursions and enjoyed both. Always love Castaway Cay day. My son went to the Teen Club Vibe, Perfect for his age and the counselors kept them busy.

SERVICE and DINING: Our dining was excellent. Went to Palo and absolutely wonderful.

ENTERTAINMENT: Disney has so many more new shows and we enjoyed them all!

CABIN: Perfect size for family of three had a verandah and it felt like home while we were away.

PORT: We don’t prefer Costa Maya, but Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Castaway Cay were a delight despite the weather.

In summary, the Disney Fantasy is a beautiful ship with great entertainment but do not take anything along with you that is precious to you. The trust that would come with the accommodations with this cruise just isn’t there. And the Lost and Found process is little to be desired. In fact, if you loose something, don’t expect it to be returned to you.

Publication Date: 01/19/14