Splendour of the Seas Cruise Review by krisdeines: First European Cruise

First European Cruise

Sail Date: June 2013
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Venice

I have only been on one other cruise which was in the Caribbean and that was many years ago. This cruise was very good with only a couple of things I did not like.

First the good:

The ship was wonderful, the staff from room attendants, to food service people were great. The room we booked was perfect. I have never been much of a boat person and came prepared for the worst with see sick meds, but only needed it once mostly for nerves. We were on the top deck at the very back of the boat, don't remember the room number but it was 8086. Excellent room with a balcony and we got great views any time of day or night, The food was very good and selection was nice was well. For what we got I thought the price was fair. The on board shops were OK, not a huge selection but this is not a huge ship. I bought some clothes and jewelry which I thought were pretty good deals. We ate in the restaurant all but 2 nights where we went to two of the pay extra places. The best was Izumi, More which is an Asian/ sushi restaurant. The food was excellent but the best part was the waiter Rosanno who made the evening special. I like spicy food and he went to the kitchen and made 3 types of wasabi with different levels of hot that were incredible. He also talked about where he grew up, his life and was interested in us as well. We had a great time I would give this place a 5 star rating. We did not book any of the off shore excursions mostly because we thought they were to expensive. I think this was the case except for our stop in Turkey, where it might have been worth the money to visit, as time was short. The other ports were very nice. We stopped in Split Croatia, Kusadasi Turkey, Mykonos Greece, and Katakolon Greece (Olympia). We had two days at sea as well. If you take this cruise there are excursions at all stops but I cannot comment on them as we did not use any. I will say that unless you want a guided tour the stop in Katakolon Greece can be made special depending on how adventurous you are. We decided to rent a car from Avis and drive the 30 minutes to Olympia and see the sites our self. The drive was very easy and we paid with gas 65 euros for 5 people. This was far less expensive then the boat sponsored tour. We had to pay for our entry into Olympia bit it amounted to 15 - 20 euros per person. If we had went by bus we could not have found a great restaurant in town called the Aegean which on Trip Advisor I rated a 5 star, it was incredible. Over all the cruise was very good except for a couple of things.

First when you get on board you are given the option of getting unlimited drink stickers on your ship credit card (which by the way I don't really like because the cost can really add up if you don't watch it). I don't drink a lot so I chose the water/ soft drink option which was I think about 7.50 USD a day. My wife who likes to enjoy wine and drinks with dinner wanted to get the sticker for Alcohol which was 50.00+USD per day and they would not give it to her since I had taken the non-alcohol sticker saying we might cheat. That was not presented to me when I opted for the non-alcohol sticker. So I think that is a ploy to get couples to pay more then need be. Also tips are included on all food/ drink purchases even you don't want to pay as much as they say you have to pay, don't remember the exact percent but over 10% and less then 20%. I think I don'w want to remember because I believe in tipping based on service, and I feel I am a generous tipper not apposed to giving 20% with good service. I am sure the web site explains all this but like most people I don't really read all the fine print because if you disagree and don't sign you don't go. These were the only real issues I had and I know they are not big issues but that is all I could come up with, so over all this was a very good cruise and I would cruise with them again. Less

Read more Splendour of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Splendour of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Splendour of the Seas Superior Oceanview Stateroom Deck 6 8086

Great room, for 3 of us. Two parents and teenage son. took lots of pictures from deck and had a great panoramic view when leaving ports. Great sunsets as well. Would book this room again.