Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by kassimer1

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by kassimer1
Grandeur of the Seas
Grandeur of the Seas
Member Name: kassimer1
Cruise Date: January 2014
Embarkation: Baltimore
Destination: Bahamas
See More About: Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

not a wow this time

This was our 3rd royal carribean cruise and our 5th total. There were 3 of us, myself, dh and ds (18) We loved the other 2 ships we were on but the Granduer was a different story. We stayed the night before at La Quinta inn because there was a snow storm coming and they were calling for up to 6 inches in delaware. The hotel was nice and it had free breakfast and a shuttle to the port. The shuttle was over booked and people had to sit on others laps or between the front seats. On the way back we had to wait almost 2 hours for the shuttle and again it was way over loaded. We did get the hotel to refund the difference for the shuttle but i would have rather not have been standing in the rain for 2 hours because we were told they would not be long.

The check in was very fast and we were on board within 20 mins. The centrum was beautiful. We went to the windjammer for lunch to wait til our room was ready. It was a bit crowded but that was only one of 2 times we had trouble finding a seat. Lunch was good. I really like the pork snitzel ( I think I spelled that right)

After lunch we decided to check out our room. We had 7069 large interior room. The third bed was a pulldown. The room was a sidways room. The door was not at the end but right at the bottom of the bed. This is the first time I had and interior that was configured this way. It really made the room seem even smaller. Also anyone that was walking past could see right at you when you were laying there. It says your luggage will fit under the bed and we did that on the other 2 RCCL cruises but only the smaller luggage would fit. This really junked up the room. Our room steward never introduced himself and was not very friendly. This was so different from the other stewards we had and put a damper on the cruise. He even got snappy at us 2 times. One time it was because we came back while he was cleaning and we wanted to change into out swimsuits for a trip to the hot tub. He just glared at us for like a min and made me fell like i was tresspassing. then i guess since we didnt just run back out the door he snappily said "I guess i will have to come back later." I was a bit stunned. I have walked into rooms before that were being cleaned and the steward was always pleasent and never snappy. They just asked how long we would be and then told us they would come back. The only reason we knew his name is because DH hunted him down and asked him. If he said more that 25 words all week to me I would have been shocked. Could he have been having a bad week? maybe, I dont know. The pull man bed was nice because it didnt squeak. We had one on a carnval cruise that squeaked all night long. The beds were ok but not the best. We had filled out the special needs form for a fridge for diabeties meds and it was not there when we arrived. They came up within an hour once we called. The shower overflowed twice and flooded the bathroom floor. The steward seemed put out that we used all the towels to mop it up. Im sorry but my teen age son did his best and was afraid the water would damage the floor so he used what he had on hand. The maintance guy came up the next day to fix it. It worked better after that but you still had to be careful not to shower to long. We did not smell the mystery small anywhere on the ship. Some of the public bathrooms wouldnt flush all the time. Most of our luggage came up by dinner time but DS's large luggage was not. We went to customer service desk to report it was missing after 8pm as was stated on the compass. After a short hunt the luggage was found!!!!!

One of my main complaints besides the Steward was there was only one 18-20 event on the compass all week. DS was so bored. The arcade was a joke. it had 3 games and 3 claw/prize type games. They got rid of the nice arcade. They took 1/4 of the teen lounge and walled it off for the new arrcade and put babies in the old arcade spot. I would rather they just got rid of the arcade. We knew that this age is a hard one but really only 1 event and that was on the first night. I even spoke with the activities director and he said he would look into it. Nothing ever came of it.

The other problem that occured very frequently was there was not enough seating for the events unless they were in the theater. The ariel show is a great concept but there is maybe 50 seats on the lower level and maybe another 50 on the next 2. And you have to move your chair over for at least half of them. Customers moving furniture is not safe or a WOW factor. So you have 100 seats for over 1000 people, You do the math, The seats would fill up 45 mins before the show. There was standing room around the balconies up to floor 8 so that added maybe room for 50 more. The shows were not impressive from the 7th and 8th floor because you are above them. The concept is good but maybe they need more shows so everyone gets a chance to enjoy. They used the centrum for more shows too that would have been better in the theater. Battle of the sexes was there and so was the thriller zombie dance. I really thought the thriller dance was awesome because it was the passengers doing it. They practiced all week and then on the last night they were made up like zombies. We were unable to see quest due to again being in a lounge and not the theater. Alot of people were complaining due to no seating. We went on oasis and never had a problem with not being able to see a show because of to many people. If 6000 poeple are not an issue then you think Granduer could do it too. I think they took away a lot of space to add the pay extra resturants. They are ok for some but you shoud not take away from everyone. We didnt do any of them, I like the Dinning room and windjammer and have no need to go to another place.

The Food in the dinning room was good, My favorite was chicken cordon blue. The chilled soups were really tasty too. The comedian they had on the first night was really great. He also did a late night show that i was to tired for but DH said it was also good, The juggler was just ok and the other entertainment was so-so or boring. I talked to 2 different people that said they fell asleep duing the dancing show and others said it was so boring/ I didnt watch it though so this is just what i heard. If you liked to eat and thats all you came on the ship for this is the cruise for you. But if you were looking to be WOWed and have something to brag to everyone back home about this was not the cruise. I actually read 6 whole books. There was not much else that I was interested in. I did do some trivia but again there wasnt enough seating and people had to sit on the floor. They had different dance lessons on a few days, Hot tube was nice and the solerium pool was nice. The only place to get food late (after 10pm) at night was in the adult area so kids were in and out of there. Kind of ruins the adult part of adult area. They did get the new coke freestyle machines. There are 4 in the windjammer and one on next to ben and jerrys. They make 120 flavor of soda and you get a cup with a microchip that activates the machine. They are really good for choices. They were out of order quite alot because they didnt have enough syrup.

We had to skip coco key due to the weather . This was done for saftey's sake so cant complain about that, The times for Nassau was late. 1pm to midnight. there really was nothing to do that late so we just had dinner at hardrock cafe and then went back to the ship.

We did the conch train in key west. Very informative and you really get to see alot from the train and after you do one loop you can then get off at a few stops if you wanted to see something closer. We did the Aquarium. Its not very big. you can finish it all in about 30 mins. But i like that kind of thing so i think it was my favorite part. The only complaint on the conch train is it was raining and you get soaked. Next time i am going to do the trolley because it had windows you could close.

Disembarktion was quick and painless.

I was very dissapointed because I expected and was used to so much more from Royal. I actually have this same cruise booked for jan 31th to go with a girl from work. If we werent already in the penalty phase I would just cancel it and stay home. I hope i get a better steward.

Publication Date: 01/19/14