Carnival Fascination Cruise Review by crufan9: Clogged or broken pipe saturates cabin in waste products during night,

crufan9
Member Since 2014

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Fascination Bahamas Cruises

Clogged or broken pipe saturates cabin in waste products during night,

Sail Date: December 2013
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Jacksonville

I thought after Carnivals issues the past couple of years they would be sensative about mechanical problems on board that caused discomfort for guests, I was wrong. My wife, daughter and I took our third cruise overall and our first on the Fascination.

We drove to Jaxport from Atlanta with my sister-in-law and her family from Michigan the day of the cruise. Although a little cramped in their SUV, It saved us the $75 parking fee an additional car would cost. Baggage drop-off at the terminal and parking were easy. Carnival staff at the terminal were very friendly and the entire embarkation process was smooth.

We had three cabins between the seven of us on the Empress deck. My wife and I in E 82, my daughter and her cousins in E 134 and my sister-in-law and her husband in E 132. Our cabin although not as nice as a simular one we had on Carnival Liberty (a newer ship) in the fall, was fine. Our cabin steward was nice and did a good job.

Dining experiences were More were also fine. Not great , but not bad. The first two nights at dinner, (early seating) even though we were in our seats at 6 we didn't get our main courses until after 7. By then other diners near us were already finished and leaving. We were even there when the announcement was made that we had to leave so they could get ready for the late seating. We hadn't even had dessert yet. It was better the last three nights after we discussed this with the head waiter.

Other aspects of the cruise were fine until the night of Dec. 31. My daughter woke up around 2 a.m. to a foul smell simular to human or animal waste products. As she walked into the bathroom she felt a slimy substance on the floor, but didn't see anything. She went back to bed and was able to sleep for a few more hours when the smell , even stronger now, woke her up.. She found us on the Lido deck and told us what was going on. When my wife went down to E 134 she found maintence workers already there. The smell now permiated the entire even numbered corridor. By late morning workers still couldn't find the source of the problem, and my daughter and her cousins were told to pack up their stuff and move to a lower deck cabin. By then the smell was in their clothes hair, etc. Cabin stewards brought down the cot my neice was sleeping on from E 134, but it smelled so bad, they had to remove it and get another one. By the afternoon of Jan 1 workers were removing all mattresses from E 134 and the smell made guests gag as they walked down the hallway. When we disembarked the ship early Jan 2, workers were in the process of scrubbing down the walls of the room and the hallway with bleach. They told my wife they still didn't know the cause of the smell 36 hours after it started. When my sister-in law and I went to guest services to inquirer about a credit for the girls for having to deal with this issue, we were informed that company policy allows a credit of $23.97 for such an incident. When I said that was not sufficient for what they dealt with , I was told by a guest servce rep that he was sorry but that's all he could do. Overall the cruise wasn't bad, but their response to the nasty and unhealthy situtation was less than adequate. Less

Read more Carnival Fascination cruise reviews >>