Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by barbjd106

Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
Member Name: barbjd106
Cruise Date: December 2013
Embarkation: New York (Brooklyn, Red Hook)
See More About: Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Cunard Cruise Deals
Member Rating   Not Rated
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

LuxuryOnly.com

CUNARDIVAL

Our small family scheduled this trip almost a year out, never having been on Cunard before. We then travelled on Cunard in September 2013, however it was too late to cancel this cruise and get our money back.

There was a long traffic line getting into the embarkation area in Brooklyn. When we did enter the terminal, a blond middle aged woman directed us into a line. We waited patiently while she started yet another line which moved much more quickly. Finally, after standing in a hot terminal for over an hour in our winter clothes, I spoke with a supervisor named Fran who explained that the monitors in our area were not working properly. Um, perhaps take charge and redirect the line. Unfortunately, this indifferent service was indicative of the entire 12 day cruise.

When we ate in the Britannia DIning room, main seating, table 100, for the first two nights we had an extra chair at our table. No one appeared to eat there and it impeded conversation with our table mates. Twice I asked to see the maitre'd about having it removed. This is true: I was told he was too busy! I then went to the Purser's office (Cunard guest relations) and put it in written request to see him about the chair. Also true: I NEVER RECEIVED A RESPONSE. Toward the end of our cruise the maitre'd appeared at our table to ask how things were. He did not mention my previous request. I asked about more of a selection with regard to vegetables and said that our vegetables had not come that evening. He seemed put out to have someone actually request something from him. Our vegetables came with our coffee. Three people were served and the waiter left. We had to call him back to serve the remaining people who wanted vegetables.

The wait for a sommelier was long. Service was lackluster. She seemed over worked.

The staterooms were ok. Our steward left a room service tray outside on the balcony overnight. Seemed a bit lackluster again. I had to ask for more soap and a clean robe.

The saving grace was/were our dining companions who were lovely.

On December 27 2013 the trivia person/entertainment staff gave a wrong answer. We looked it up in our Almanac and spoke to him about it. He was kind but did not seem to want to know additional information about his professional area.

The ship held various celebrations for the Christmas holiday. All were well done, especially the Christmas caroling.

We took one excursion which was the Nevis sail away. The day was lovely. I spoke with the crew and mentioned that they could chafe the music played to be more in tune with the composition of their guests (puns intended). The crew was great.

We ate in the Golden Lion at lunchtime on New Year's Day. The staff was so 'off' that day. We had to ask for service (my husband went up to the bar to ask for a waiter or waitress to come over) and then still waited. I saw an older couple voice their frustration to the staff. Although it made me uncomfortable, I had to agree with them. The service that particular day was appalling. Cunard should be ashamed.

We were staying on the ship until Southampton but changing rooms. I checked on this periodically, being anxious about Cunard's lack of professionalism. I was told twice that housekeeping would move everything for us except what was in the safe. I was also told the new room keys would be delivered the night before. The morning of the change of course no new room keys were delivered. I called the Purser and was told to come down and get them. I asked for them to be delivered, as promised. I was told that they were too busy but would deliver them when they could. After 2 hours I went down to the Purser myself to get the keys. There I was advised to pack up everything in the room except what was on hangers in the closet. What a rush to pack!

The review will continue as we change to Queen's Grill for the crossing.

Publication Date: 01/18/14