Azura Cruise Review by joedwyer

Member Name: joedwyer
Cruise Date: December 2013
Embarkation: Barbados
Cabin Number: c224
See More About: Azura Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | P&O Cruises Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Azura Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Azura Deck Plans
Party ship!

I have had 4 cruises including this one and i would say that this is definetly up there with Ocean Village which I understand has gone to Australia. My wife and I were there from 28/12/2013 to 11/1/2014 and booked a 'getaway' deal which cost £1300 each for an inside cabin, got VIP and free airport transfers. The Cabin was fine, cleaned everyday and apart from no window/balcony it did the job! Anyway, why pay an extra £600 each for a balcony, that's another holiday or pays towards your booze! LOL!! talking of booze, ships prices were a little more than pub prices, not extortionate! Wine being the most expensive drink.

The Cruise was over New Year and New Years Eve was one of the best ever! 2000 + people on top deck for an all night party which I was told went onto 5.30 am!!!! Great party atmosphere. Earlier we had Jimmy James, who was great value and then a Beatles tribute band who were also very good! Then the all night party. Entertainment was 'on the whole' very good. The Headliners, resident dancers and singers did a great dance night and did some west end show stuff. Best was Jimmy James and The Beatles, worst was Dorethy Cousins and the two comedians. Cousins should have retired years ago! Comedians were naff and played it too safe! But on this ship there is something for everyone, quizzes, gambling, piano bar, smooth, shows, tributes, celebrity speakers etc. Lynda la Plante was a guess speaker who was on a two week holiday except for two 2 hour spots. I didn't go but was told she was rubbish, slurring and boring!

Destinations were good with the exception of St. Vincent and Dominica, these should be replaced. Beaches varied in quality, excursions on board were very very pricey, use local taxis which are about half the price. some taxi drivers will not take you to requested beach unless they have more passengers. This was particularly true in Tortola. In Antigua, one taxi driver would not leave until his 'Venga style' 20 seater was not full to capacity, then he took us to the nearest beach after the tour and not to a nice beach! So be wary.

All in all an excellent cruise and very enjoyable. Food was very good but a bit too British! Staff always pleasant. I would go again but next time I would choose my beaches more carefully!

Note, I don't know if it was just my imagination, but the next two weeks crowd entering the ship as we left seemed a right miserable lot! Maybe they needed a good holiday!

Ah well back to work!