Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by Boardsonfeet: First cruise, a nice introduction

Boardsonfeet
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Celebrity Summit Southern Caribbean Cruises

First cruise, a nice introduction

Sail Date: November 2013
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

My wife and I were new to cruising, so we don't have anything to compare this to, but we did learn what we liked and didn't like with cruising in general and this specific line and ship. Embarkation/ disembarkation in San Juan, PR was excellent and I would not hesitate doing this again. For an older ship, the Summit wears her age well, it's kept clean and neat, but of course lacks some of the newer more modern offerings of the other ships you see pulling into ports with you, but nothing we couldn't do without. My only complaints (and they may be the same on all lines, but can be easily rectified) are as follows:

WiFi conductivity; I understand we don’t go on a cruise to sit around on our smart phones day and night, but we had hoped to at least check in with our family on e-mail daily. We purchased the on-board WiFi package on the ship, this is a total rip off, it is twice as slow as old dial up from the early 90’s, doesn’t work in most places on the ship, so More I had to sit outside of the iStore on board (BTW, the tech experts inside have one answer to any question- well with an Apple product…). My thought is that the cruise line is wasting a perfect opportunity at advertisement that they cannot buy, if I’m having a ball on-board the ship and post a photo on Facebook with the location listed as “Celebrity Summit” and all my friends who are going about their normal lives see this, has Celebrity just gotten the best advertisement ever? Smarten up; this is an easy marketing move.

Sports pub, this is specific to this ship, the only place to watch a football game was at the casino bar, about 10 seats available to view two tiny screens behind the bartender (both showing the same game), no volume because you’re in the casino. This sucked, that’s all I can say about that.

Specialty restaurants, nice places, but do you really want to drop an additional $80- $100 per meal when the other included meals on board are so good? Not me.

Overall we were very happy with this cruise, the ship and most especially the crew. Our stateroom steward, waiter and wine steward in the MDR were sensational. We learned what we will look for in the next cruise, many of which this ship had, but some as listed that we will try to avoid. Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Summit Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Summit 9138

Excellent stateroom location, best choice we made by far.