Carnival Sunshine Cruise Review by funeralman17

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Sunshine Cruise Review by funeralman17
Carnival Sunshine
Carnival Sunshine
Member Name: funeralman17
Cruise Date: January 2014
Embarkation: New Orleans
Destination: Bahamas
See More About: Carnival Sunshine Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Entertainment 5+

Ship Facts: Carnival Sunshine Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Carnival Sunshine Deck Plans
Very Enjoyable!

Just got off the Sunshine this morning and wanted to write while everything was fresh on my mind.. I have been on 8 cruises on 5 different lines over the past 10 years. I booked this cruise because I was able to drive to the port from our house about 7 hours away and avoid airline charges. I had 3 cabins on deck 8 2 balconies and an inside. Travelers included 3 daughters 19, 20, and 32, 81 year old mother and my wife and I mid 50's. We stayed at the Country Inn and Suites the night before we boarded the ship. I would highly recommend it. We ate dinner at Broucerie. Number one rated New Orleans restaurant on trip advisor. Excellent food at a very reasonable price. Need reservations.

Embarcaton

We showed up about 1:30 and had no trouble at all. On board by 2:15. Very easy process

Our entire family are musicians so we are very picky about the musicians on a ship. I thought that the entertainers on Sunshine were the best I'd seen in 9 cruises. Epic Rock show was best show I have ever seen on a ship. The lead singer should be making millions fronting a band. He covered Freddy Mercury, Steven Tyler, Bon Jovi no problem. Absolutely brilliant. Chris in the Ocean Reef lounge was also great as was Adam Coe in the Red Frog Pub. Sociable!! The other guy Adam also was pretty bad. The kids enjoyed the comedians but I did not attend personally. Karaoke was great. 4 different opportunities to sing with the live band and 3 different days of karaoke with tracs. All in all I was very impressed with the quality of the entertainment.

Ship

There have been quite a few negatives written about this ships condition. I found that some of them were definitely deserved. My mom's balcony stateroom started leaking at 6 in the morning. Crew came and tore the ceiling out and fixed the problem. Smell on deck 4 definitely needs addressing. I found the ship overall very clean. I thought the crew was very accomodating and went out of their way to make people happy.

Food

The food was typical cruise fare. It wasn't great but it sure beat what I normally get at home! Lobster on 2nd night was the best meal of the week. Lido deck food was average. Guys burgers is not to be missed. One of the best burgers I've ever eaten. Ate their every day at lunch.

Ports

The weather was horrible our entire cruise. Shows had to be canceled and events moved. I thought staff did a good job of making changes on the fly. Key West was 50 degrees and 30 mile per hour winds. I love this port but it was a very cold day to be doing anything outside. Freeport was 60 and rain. I didn't even get off the ship. Nassau was a pretty 75 degree day. Took a bus to Atlantis for $4 and spent 2 hours walking around looking at the yachts and the facilities you could see for free. Very enjoyable and impressive.

Deck 8 our steward was Rosie and I have never had better service. She met us within an hour of boarding and knew all our names by the end of the first day. Absolutely wonderful personality. I wanted to put her in my suitcase and bring her home!!

Disembarkation

Did self assist and got off the ship in 30 minutes. Very easy

Summary

Overall our family had a very enjoyable time. There was plenty to do and we enjoyed the ship and it's crew. If you go looking for problems you can find them but I prefer to be positive and focus on all the good things we enjoyed. I would give the entire experience a solid B.

Publication Date: 01/14/14
More Carnival Sunshine Cruise Reviews

Read the previous Carnival Sunshine review Read the next Carnival Sunshine review

More Bahamas Cruise Reviews