Royal Princess Cruise Review by vcr_traveler515: Wonderful vacation

Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Royal Princess Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Wonderful vacation

Sail Date: December 2013

My family, parents with two adult children and a grand-father, took this Dec. 8, 2013 Princess Eastern Caribbean cruise mainly to try out the new ship. The overall experience was beyond our expectations, especially reading the reviews here.

We took two obstructed balcony and one inside cabins. Embarkation was very smooth, probably because Fort Lauderdale was designed to handle such large volume. The overall layout of the ship was similar to older Princess ships, so we did not get lost. Deck 7, the Promenade Deck was the one where passengers could walk from the back to the front. I heard some passengers complained that they could not get from the back to the front on decks 5 and 6. I did not think it was a big problem as all Princess ships were designed that way.

I will talk about the only minor inconvenient topic first and get it out of the way. The ship carried 10% more passengers than the Star Princess but still had the same number of elevators (4 forward, 6 More mid-ship and 4 aft). Along with the 50 or so electric scooters for the disabled, there were multiple occasions where one could not get into an elevator. This was especially bad during dinner hours. In addition there was no public stairs between Deck 7 and Deck 8 mid-ship, so I could not just walk to my cabin on Deck 8 from Deck 7. Instead I had to wait for the elevator or walk to the back of the ship, walk up and then get to my cabin. Actually there were stairs mid-ship but they were used as emergency passages only. They did not open these stairs during the safety drill, so I had to take the long way to go from Deck 8 to get to the muster station on Deck 6 in the Symphony dining room.

Now for the good parts. Even with 3,600 to 4,000 passengers, the ship was not too crowded. The atmosphere was very lively all the time, with lots of activity going on. The new atrium was a great concept, moving most of the entertainment to a more open space. There were live bands, acrobats, demonstrations and solo singers all day. I saw many fellow passengers watching the action from the higher decks and enjoying themselves.

I took an obstructed balcony cabin on Deck 8 (Emerald) mid-ship. The size was adequate and the bathroom was improved. The shower was larger than before and the shower head actually worked. The cabin steward was pleasant and efficient. The balcony was small, as discussed by many fellow reviewers, but we did not spend any time out there. Instead we were busy enjoying all the other facilities of the ship. There was a minor problem with empty hangers banging against the wall in the middle of the night when there was a sway. I informed the cabin steward and she indicated that was not a new discovery. I just made sure there were clothing hung on every hanger.

The other criticism from fellow reviewers was about the food. We only ate at the Allegro dining room for dinner and the food was up to the usual Princess standard. On our first night, the service was very slow, in spite of a very hard working waiter, Bernardo. He was missing his assistant waiter and he did not get much help. All in all he had to serve 24 guests for the first seating and with that number, it was difficult for him to get to know us well. His assistant waiter showed up later but took a few nights to learn the routine. Lunch at Aflredos (pizza place) was good as well. The Horizon Court was vastly expanded and there was a good variety of cuisine.

Entertainment was one of the highlights of the cruise. The Princess Theatre singers and dancers did their usual production shows. They also featured Beatle-manics, a Beatles look-a-like band. They thoroughly got the crowd moving both in the Princess Theatre and the Atrium. They also featured Ray Cousins, the Frank Sinatra house pianist. He played in the lounge and there was always standing room only crowds listening all night. The surprise was my children in their 20's sat for an hour to listen to him.

The ship featured many new innovations, some very useful, others just so-so. The Movie Under the Stars screen was very large and bright. I could see what was showing while on shore in broad daylight. The Seawalk was interesting but how many times could one walk above the waves and still found it amazing? (two times for me!!) The electronic notice boards were great ways to inform passengers of the daily happenings.

Fellow reviews also complained about being nickel and dimed to death. I did not find it so. I bought a coffee card at the beginning of the cruse, mainly at the urging of my children so that they could get some gelato during the cruise. Besides that, I ordered some wines for dinner. There were some good deals if one knew onshore wine prices. Excursions were reasonably priced.

All in all, it was a great, do nothing type cruise and we really got to enjoy the new ship. I would definitely take another cruise on this ship to other ports. Less

Read more Royal Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Royal Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Royal Princess E501

Cabin was comfortable, similar to other Princess ships. Bathroom was better designed, especially the larger shower. The shower controls worked well. Balcony was small, but we never used it. There were two nights when the hangers in the closet banged against the wall with the sway and we had to hang more clothing onto the empty hangers.

The port call was so good that my daughter actually thanked me for taking her on this cruise after the second day. Everything was arranged for guests' comfort and enjoyment. We took the tender ashore and went to our clamshell rental. That was a good thing to have for the day since there were two beach chairs inside. We tried the 4 person paddle boat and then my children tried the paddle board. It was easy to learn. There were also big wheel water tricycle and banana boats. Everyone seemed to have fun. A barbeque was served at the beach. This was a great way to start the cruise.

We took a taxi for $5 from the dock to downtown. We did not intend to buy anything but ended up with a watch, two handbags and a pair of tanzanite Day-2-Night earrings. It was also a great place to get some souvenirs for friends and relatives. Make sure you attend the shopping lecture and you would get a lot of tips how to get a good bargain.
Read 2321 St. Thomas Reviews

We took the water-taxi from the dock to downtown. The shopping experience was not as good as St. Thomas, may be we got here after St. Thomas. There were still the same stores.
Read 2321 St. Thomas Reviews

Helmet Dive

We were taken by water taxi to a floating dock nearby. We were given detail instructions about the dive and safety. There were 24 guests and we went down in two groups. While the first group was diving, the second group did some snorkeling around the dock. When it was our turn to dive, we stood on the stairs in the water and the helmet was lowered onto our shoulders. That forced us to walk down the 20 ft. stairs one step at a time. A diver was next to us during the descend. Once everyone was down, we were led through a path with side-rails on both sides and saw a sunken helicopter, some sea creatures and lots of fish. The whole underwater experience was 30 minutes. My wife had trouble clearing her ears when she was underwater, but still enjoyed the experience. The excursion operator took pictures of everyone and sold it for $35 on a memory card. That was a reasonable price since we went as a family of 4. We also took our underwater Fuji camera and got some great pictures and video. Make sure your camera is rated for at least 20 ft. underwater as that was the depth of the excursion. Afterwards were served some fruit punch, some with a good dose of rum.