Island Princess Cruise Review by paluni: Nice cruise - turn down the music decibels though please!

paluni
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Island Princess Panama Canal & Central America Cruises

Nice cruise - turn down the music decibels though please!

Sail Date: November 2013
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America
Embarkation: Los Angeles

We really enjoyed this cruise. It had a nice mix of port days and sea days. We lucked out on the weather - it was really good. The Island Princess is a nice ship, and looked freshly painted, which was nice. We really liked everything. The commentator through the Panama Canal was great - Mr. Hall, I believe, who grew up there. He didn't talk constantly, but commented when relevant, which was really nice. My only fault would be, sometimes the music for events by the pool was way too loud, and occasionally other places. I left one event because it was hurting my ears. Another man by the elevators commented independently that he was leaving because the music was too loud. I actually think people can damage their hearing by staying by loud music too long. If everybody can hear fine, why turn it up more decibels than that? But other than that, it was a really great cruise. The staff and other passengers were nice.

A nice size cabin, with a very good, roomy balcony. The only thing, More it overlooked a lifeboat, so you couldn't see straight down to the dock. If we had been a little toward the bow, we would have cleared the lifeboats, as they didn't go all the way to the bow. Other decks above could look down on us, but it turned out not to be a problem at all. It was not noisy from anywhere. Maybe we had nice neighbors. Our steward moved our stuff from places we kept putting it, which was a little strange, never had that before, but the room was very well maintained. There was a nice sitting area with a three-person couch, which I really like. I love to have a couch rather than just a chair. This balcony was perfect and wonderful for going through the Panama Canal. Order the room-service breakfast late morning and sit on the balcony and enjoy the view. As usual, I like to bring a lot of my own hangers. It makes it easier and there is probably not enough hangers already in the closet for all your clothes for a long cruise. Not having doors on the closets is really great and convenient. I think Princess does that on most of their ships. Quite a good idea. Less

Read more Island Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Island Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Island Princess D508

A nice size cabin, with a very good, roomy balcony. The only thing, it overlooked a lifeboat, so you couldn't see straight down to the dock. If we had been a little toward the bow, we would have cleared the lifeboats, as they didn't go all the way to the bow. Other decks above could look down on us, but it turned out not to be a problem at all. It was not noisy from anywhere. Maybe we had nice neighbors. Our steward moved our stuff from places we kept putting it, which was a little strange, never had that before, but the room was very well maintained. There was a nice sitting area with a three-person couch, which I really like. I love to have a couch rather than just a chair. This balcony was perfect and wonderful for going through the Panama Canal. Order the room-service breakfast late morning and sit on the balcony and enjoy the view. As usual, I like to bring a lot of my own hangers. It makes it easier and there is probably not enough hangers already in the closet for all your clothes for a long cruise. Not having doors on the closets is really great and convenient. I think Princess does that on most of their ships. Quite a good idea.

We just took the ship transportation from the ship to Antigua, Guatemala. It's a lovely town, but you can be pestered by women and children, Mayan Indians, wanting to sell you stuff. One thing - we had a little trouble with money. We felt we needed local money for food and the restroom, and we didn't have that. The ship said dollars would all be fine, but that wasn't true for us. Maybe it was the places we went. I enjoyed the town, my husband did not because of the hassling to buy stuff. But the people were actually pleasant I thought and the town felt safe. We entered the cathedral on the square, which felt small inside! But go around the corner, for a small fee you can enter the giant ruins of what it used to be like. That is impressive and well worth doing. Dollars were ok for getting into the cathedral ruins. They had a massive earthquake centuries ago which destroyed massive buildings.

Read 802 Antigua Reviews