Prinsendam 5

“First time on Prinsendam”
Cruise review of Holland America Prinsendam

kahtrav
Member Since 2009
875 Forum Posts

Overall Member Rating

We've been intrigued hearing about the Prinsendam and also about some of her itineraries. We often sail HAL, but this little ship seemed like something we should try. The cabin prices are often above our budget level, but when this cruise came up (2 months out) with some really good pricing, we knew we had to try it (even though we were headed to Antarctica in January).

We loved the ship - there were many repeat travelers, but for many it was their first on Prinsendam. I was glad it hadn't been totally turned into a mini-HAL ship, but that while they've done some upgrading, it still has some of her "elegant explorer" left.

We had an inside cabin, and while we are not used to twin beds, I wanted to experience these little cabins. We usually book inside, so that wasn't different, but I loved the layout of the cabin. At first it seemed like a postage stamp size, but soon was just a wonderful cozy place. The open space in the main cabin area was much more spacious than More in other cabins we saw during the cruise. Just the basic cabin set-up with walk-in closet was great. I definitely hope to sail on her again.

We were also drawn to the eastern Mediterranean itinerary. Egypt had been cancelled prior to our booking (which probably impacted the pricing for us) - for obvious security reasons. There was every reason to think at the time of our booking that Israel would also be cancelled, but the tensions settled and we had a wonderful 2 1/2 days in Israel.

We booked the entire Collector's Voyage, including the TA to Ft. Lauderdale. As it happened, we had the privilege of sailing with the captain who took her out for the first time many years ago. It was fun to hear his insights into the building of the ship as well as his general knowledge of this ship that is so unlike the other HAL ships.

HAL passengers really enjoy the smaller ships, even if they don't have the chance to sail the Prinsendam - HAL would be wise to heed these voices when they build newer and bigger (but for many of us, not better) ships. Less

Prinsendam Cruises to the Eastern Mediterranean

Rates
Value for Money

Cabin review:

502
We always book inside, and generally low and inside, especially on ocean crossings (this was our 3rd). We had an inside cabin, and while we are not used to twin beds, I wanted to experience these little cabins. I loved the layout of the cabin. At first it seemed like a postage stamp size, but soon was just a wonderful cozy place. The open space in the main cabin area was much more spacious than in other cabins we saw during the cruise. Just the basic cabin set-up with walk-in closet was great. I definitely hope to sail on her again.So long as you don't have to have a window and don't have to have a queen bed, these are wonderful cabins. I won't even look at a different category if we sail her again.Two things we did which helped a bit with space: We moved the one chair from the middle of the cabin and stuck it behind the hanging clothes in the closet - and never brought it out - it wasn't in the way at all. Since we don't drink alcohol, we had our room steward remove all the bar items and ice bucket from the cabinets, which freed up more day-to-day space.

Published 01/13/14

Read Cruise Critic's Prinsendam Review

Prinsendam Cruises to the Eastern Mediterranean

Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?