Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Review by Annalise

Nieuw Amsterdam
Nieuw Amsterdam
Member Name: Annalise
Cruise Date: December 2013
See More About: Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Nieuw Amsterdam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Nieuw Amsterdam Deck Plans
GOOD VALUE FOR THE MONEY

We booked this cruise last minute and actually, because it was a New Year's cruise, I was expecting many families with kids running amok. Yes, there were many children but they were very well behaved and we did not have any run ins. Embarkation was very smooth as we had Express booking and waltzed right through without a hitch. Our ocean view cabin was perfectly situated mid-ship and we never had to walk far to anything. The cabin layout was good with a large draw under the foot of the bed for clothing. Our room steward was Kamal and he was not satisfactory. Dirty wine glasses stood in our room for 2 days, we waited 45 mins. for fresh ice and he never replenished even the basics like soap. By the end of the cruise, hubby and I were sharing a sliver of soap. Finally, I figured out if I communicated through notes, I got the what we needed. The shower toiletries were Elemis although I never used them.

DINING: We did not eat at any specialty restaurants but the Lido for breakfast & lunch provided a good selection and plentiful food. The dinner chef had a heavy hand with salt (which I loved!) so expect to return home retaining a lot of water. Our waiter was Yopi and he was very good assisted by Sapu, who was also good but not remarkably so. They all learn your first name and say it like you're their buddy for the remainder of the cruise. Our sommelier was Marcy and she was the best. She really knew her wines and was always at hand to pour and serve.

GYM: The gym is pathetically small and people fight for space. They should repossess the unused rooms from the spa and make the gym larger. The elliptical machines and treadmills were good but don't forget your earbuds since there are TVs attached for watching while you walk.

SHIP FLICKS - a GREAT idea! They give you a book with over 1,000 DVDs that can be borrowed from the ship to watch a movie. If you want the movie right away, be prepared to run down to the front desk. I used it twice in the afternoons to compliments my naps.

ENTERTAINMENT: Worst dance troupe on the seas but fortunately they broke it up with a funny comedienne (Julie Barr), the 4 tenors and a steel drum band that was marvelous! Last night they adapted Dancing with the Stars to the ship and that was entertaining as well. New Year's Eve party was great as we danced, blew horns and celebrated into the New Year. At just before midnight, they cut into the action at Times Square and we all watched the ball drop.

Publication Date: 01/13/14