Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by starboard gal: LOVE the Explorer!!!

starboard gal
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Explorer of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

LOVE the Explorer!!!

Sail Date: November 2013
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)

This was my 3rd trip on Explorer, and I have one more booked before she leaves us in November 2014.

I always get the same aft facing balcony #9690, as I enjoy that majestic view of the wake of the ship behind us. Could watch that all day long~~ If you've never treated yourself to this type of cabin, go for it! (another secret: the balcony is huge. has deck chairs in addition to the normal chairs and cocktail table). It was a real "find".

The ship is a bit tattered looking at this point.,... the little things that were wrong with the cabin are still wrong. Maintenance doesn't seem to be happening much at this point, as this ship will be leaving Bayonne for a brief run from Port Canaveral, and then off to Asia next year. It will go to drydock and probably be refurbished in between it's old and new ports.

But I will miss the Explorer. It's a great sized ship, offers all the nice amenities that we've come to love about royal caribbean...skating show, royal More promenade with the fun 70's show, and the iconic Royal Viking Lounge. We've enjoyed the ship and it's itineraries very much. And Bayonne is such an easy place from which to cruise. An easy drive from most of the mid atlantic.

Later this year the Quantum will arrive.... don't know how we will like in comparison. Will certainly have more amenities, and different ones. But a lot of us will really miss our old Explorer and the fun times we had on her. It will be like losing a good friend!

See all of you onboard Explorer on October 9, 2014. Our farewell trip! Less

Read more Explorer of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Explorer of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Explorer of the Seas 9690

my all time favorite room on a ship! great big balcony. yeah, it's in need of painting, and I swear the same balled up rag that someone threw out there, was STILL there a year later!!! I guess they never clean the balconies anymore. Similarly the deck chairs were starting to fall apart, and that also remained the same a year later. Interesting to have the same exact room multiple times...shows you how things really are. on a positive note, though, it's very quiet in this section of the ship. great view of the wake. and that huge balcony is the best. this cabin has a big circular porthole window (approx. 5 feet diameter) plus a glass door. It's just a fun cabin. The new ships won't have this anymore, they are devoting the aft facing spaces for the high rollers and other public rooms.

Shirley Heights

Pretty island, never been there before. Decided to take a tour that included a long bus ride that featured scenic vistas from the old military forts which are perched atop some very mountainous terrain. The views were outstanding. Our other primary stop was at Nelson's Dockyard, a wonderful historic site. HIghly recommend this tour. Also did some shopping in the town where the ship was docked.

(5.5)

A great beach day.
I bought a beautiful hand carved mahoghany walking stick from one of the village vendors.
Every time I look at it, I think of Labadee and how much I love the place. It was quite the conversation piece back onboard the ship.
I don't do the adventures there, but just love the scenery, and the various venues to hang out, and watch the action. Fun to see the zip liners come down across the water too!

Read 366 Labadee Reviews

San Juan is wonderful, like an old European village, with winding narrow cobblestone streets, and pretty old stucco buildings. Great shopping.
Great history. The forts are a fabulous exploration.
the sail-in to San Juan is amongst the most beautiful I've seen. the approach is just magnificent....
Never tire of this great port.

Read 1367 San Juan Reviews

Another pretty island, I really did not explore it as much as others did. Sounds like there are a few nice resorts that one can go to, or sailing trips. I just hung around the town and did some last shopping, as this was our last port. Not sure if I'd go back, but the island was pretty and scenery was beautiful.

What's not to like about St. Maarten?
it has everything. shopping, beaches, scenery, and if you like sand in your face, you can go to a beach where the big jets fly into the airport just feet above your head!