Norwegian Pearl Cruise Review by dbacksfanbrian: Best Experience We've Had on a Cruise Thus Far!

dbacksfanbrian
Member Since 2014

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Norwegian Pearl Western Caribbean Cruises

Best Experience We've Had on a Cruise Thus Far!

Sail Date: December 2013

My entire family (wife, two 17-year olds and one 19-year old) went on a 7 day cruise out of Miami leaving on December 29 and returning on January 5. Stops included Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas, Ocho Rios, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel.

Ship activities were numerous and there was never any lack of something to do, if you wanted to do it. Bingo, game show type games, trivia, demonstrations, educational discussions...they have it all. Also, if you want to do nothing, you can do that too!

Restaurant choices were good. Several restaurants allow ordering from the menu and in these (like Cagney's) there is a dress code; a shirt with a collar. A the buffets, there is no dress code other than some sort of clothing. I found the food good, but not excellent but to me, that's not the most important aspect of the cruise. To me, the service is what's important, and, in my opinion, we got it. We cruised Celebrity a few years ago and as great as I thought that was, going to More Alaska, this was BETTER.

The one aspect over which Norwegian has no control, and I found it very troubling, were rude travelers. Ten years ago, traveling abroad or internationally, we frequently encountered obnoxious, oblivious ugly Americans on vacation and I was ashamed at the time to be from the same country as such idiots.

I'm happy to say that since then, it is not the Americans who are obnoxious, oblivious, and rude. On this ship in particular were many, many Italian and Spanish (not Mexican; from Spain) who were very, very rude. From standing around in buffet lines, EATING and TALKING in line, oblivious to people attempting to serve themselves, to setting up obstacle courses of enormous strollers in the dining areas making it impossible to traverse the area. Additionally, very LOUD discussions with people at multiple tables all at the same time made it very unpleasant. I wondered if the words "polite" or "courteous" even existed in those languages/countries it was so bad.

You are better off knowing what you want to do before boarding so I recommend checking out the excusions in advance. My personal favorite was Cozumel due to the history at San Gervasio Mayan ruins, and, because the guides in Mexico, to me, are the best anywhere; pleasant, knowledgeable, and seem to LIKE what they do and like people. I can't say that about the people in Jamaica, for example...I felt they just wanted our money any way they could get it.

Top notch ship, top notch nightly entertainment, and Monica our concierge and Manolito our butler provided first class service, none better anywhere. Less

Read more Norwegian Pearl cruise reviews >>