Thomson Spirit Cruise Review by Jon Ben

Member Name: Jon Ben
Cruise Date: October 2013
Embarkation: Harwich
Destination: Mediterranean
See More About: Thomson Spirit Cruise Reviews | Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Thomson Cruises Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+

Ship Facts: Thomson Spirit Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Thomson Spirit Deck Plans
Mediterranean Odessey

What a fantastic cruise. I cannot praise the Thomson Spirit and its crew highly enough. My wife and I love this ship and just wish we could afford to sail in her every year.

Every member of the crew we came into contact with could not do enough for you and one even remembered us by name from 3 years ago. My wife walks with a stick so handling a tray of food and walking to a table usually means me making two trips. I hardly had to do this during the whole cruise as one of the waiters of the head waiter took her tray and carried it to the table.

We had upgraded to a suite and while it was very nice and spotlessly clean, we decided it wasnt worth the extra cash over and above a deluxe cabin. The cabin stewards were cheerful and super efficient and again were very helpful.

The ship is getting old and areas of her could do with a bit of smartening up, but thats a minor detail compared to the friendly atmosphere aboard. We met some great people and hope one day we may bump into them again on board The Spirit.

Now the minus side. The excursions are overpriced and mostly dissaopinting. We cancelled all of ours after the first two but kept the dolphin boat in Gibralter. Hmm not what I expected at all. Saw a few fleeting glimpses of some small common dolphins and in hindsight would have sooner wandered into the town. The one excursion I did enjoy was Algiers. An experience I will remember the rest of my life. The mini coach trip was better than any fairground ride and how they dont have accidents every few minutes id beyond me. Even a police escort didnt seem to deter drivers from cutting in etc. We approached a dual carrigeway that was at a standstill on our side, so our escort took us ( 6 small coaches) down the wrong side of the caariage way with blue lights flashing. The coach was worth every penny without the experience of seeing a city I would never visit normally. I think the pre excursion talk by Thomsons was a mistake as it put people off. Totally needless as we never felt uncomfortable during the excursion and the only pity was not being able to wander round some interesting looking shops.

The return flight from Cyprus is best forgotten as was the arrival at East Midlands Airport. I have made my complaints about it to Thomson and EMA authorities. People with disabilities are covered by EU regulations in the way they are assisted both prior to departure. On board the aircraft and on arrival. Both Cyprus Airport. Thomsons and East Midlands Airport fell far short of these regulations and need to be addressed.

However as I said at the beginning the cruise and the ship were excellent and I hope we can sail in her again maybe in 2015

Publication Date: 01/13/14