Carnival Sunshine Cruise Review by trvlwithkids: Sunshine had cosmetic upgrade but the mechanical stinks!

trvlwithkids
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Carnival Sunshine Western Caribbean Cruises

Sunshine had cosmetic upgrade but the mechanical stinks!

Sail Date: December 2013
Embarkation: New Orleans

We were on the Sunshine for the December 15th sailing in room 3124 which is at the front of the ship near the excursion desk. It is very difficult to get through to the back of the ship so we would go down to the second floor. Starting the morning of the second day water was running out of the ceilings the full length of the floor with multiple puddles. You dodged the "rain", we initially laughed about it saying glad were were not on the lower floors. Then they started collecting the water in buckets with signs at this point they had the drop ceiling down. The 3rd day the water stopped running and the drying fans were running but the floor stunk of sewage. Again didn't affect us so laughed it off. Day 4 after an excursion get to our room drop off stuff and go to eat. 2 hours later open up the door and our room STINKS of sewage. Thought it moving up the ship but checked the bathroom and bathroom didn't stink. Plumber comes and tells me the smell is in the ventilation system and then More maintenance comes and does an air exchange in our room and we can't come back for 45 minutes. During that time I went to customer service to make sure they deal with the ventilation or else my room will stink again. They say come back and we will do the air exchange again… I said NO I don't want a repeat so they put of this air fresher or filter to the vent and no mores stink. HOWEVER now the stink is through out the 3 and 4th floor by the picture studio. By day 6 the ship finally stopped stinking.

NOW the stabilizers… OR should I say lack of stabilizers. We were in the Mississippi River and it was rocking and rough thought no big deal once in the gulf it will get better… It didn't we rocked and rolled the whole time. a couple times the ship jerked and you would bang into the counter or the wall.. (I left the ship with a few bruises) You would get off the ship and you still felt off because you were always adjusting to the rock and now on solid ground it felt off. I have been on 3 previous ships and never encountered this movement before. In fact on the second day around 10 pm we went to bed early and all of a sudden there was a sharp jerk sideways. It was such a big her my kids yelled did we hit something? I said no it is just the gulf but at the same time thought I sure hope we didn't. Our room was under a club and the noise from above was terrible like a heard of cattle stomping.

It was cheap cruise so it is what it is. The ports of Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel were excellent and had a blast. I talk about the problems on the ship and everyone laughs. It is good entertainment to talk about with friends. The ships mechanical was so bad you had to just go with it otherwise if you let it ruin your trip then you lose in the end. Half the time you had to hit the flush button about 5 times to make the toilet work! I can go on but then I might sound over nit picky! LOL

Honestly, my advice is to seriously stay clear of this ship. If there is any other choice go with it. I have sailed on the Carnival Holiday ( back in 1993) Carnival Liberty and Enchantment of the seas (which was also refurbished and cut in half and extended) All ships were amazing and first class and NO complaints.

This one… Well lets just say I am very happy it was so cheap… You get what you pay for is so true! LOL Less

Read more Carnival Sunshine cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Sunshine Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Sunshine 3124

Room was noisy with banging above from the club. Stunk of sewage on day 4 and needed an air exchange in the room so were locked out for 45 minutes then needed a air freshener or filter to stop the sewage smell from coming into the room via the ventilation or air conditioner vent. Otherwise no room complaints

Jeep Tour

Best excursion was with Monty and saw the entire island and had a blast. The jeeps initially looked pretty new but VERY BEAT UP… my seat had a "re-covering" on it so looks new then you sit and the springs were gone and there was a hole in the middle like sitting on a toilet and having you butt fall through the hole! LOL I grabbed a beach towel stuffed it in the hole and sat on the seat and all good. I am actually thinking about buying a wrangler now because this beat up junky one was so much fun.

Turtle Farm

(4)

I got the one that included food. avoid the food!!!! I didn't realize at the time it was not kept warm properly and when back at the ship promptly got sick as a dog for the rest of the night.. Better after vomiting. Turtle farm was ok, there were only a couple turtles in the lagoon area where you can swim. This was the least enjoyable of all the trips

Island Tour

I loved Jamaica the people are so friendly, Pushy about you seeing their booths but very nice very friendly and enjoyed the island so much I would definitely go back.