Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by Mrdoak: Nice Ship. Fantastic Crew!

Norwegian Jewel 0
Member Since 2012
20 Forum Posts

Overall Member Rating

Nice Ship. Fantastic Crew!

Sail Date: December 2013
Embarkation: New Orleans

This is my fourth cruise, third carrier. 50 year old couple/empty nesters.

The NCL Jewel was a nice ship. Clean, tidy and well organized. Staff ratio was good , overall size of the ship and layout and flow worked. There were enough restaurants and food variety that one should not have a problem finding something worth eating. The main plus was the crew. Sorry Captain but we all know who runs the ship (Inside). That right, RIchard Janicki, Hotel Director runs a tight ship! Staff uniforms were pressed and sharp. His team did not look like they rolled out of bed like some other lines I've been on. Each member was on their toes and looking to assist passengers. I watched how they interacted with guests and each attempted to ensure that the guests had what they needed. Now I know there might be a few that disagree and that's ok because you can't please 2600 guests but the crew did their best . I would be re-missed if I didn't point out that Noel Chaves, Restaurant Manager was More always on the floor to ensure guests enjoyed a great dining experience. Katya Plyakova, Beverage Manager has a great selection of wines and two good tasting events. Unfortunately, someone needs to share with NCL that the beer tasting of their low qualify beer choices is not a beer tasting event. It could use some improvement by adding two or three higher end micro beers. I have no real complaints and would recommend NCL to first time cruisers Less

Published 01/10/14

Read more Norwegian Jewel cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Jewel Review >>

Compare Prices on Norwegian Jewel Western Caribbean Cruises

Cabin review: BB10124 Balcony

Good size. Room under bed for suitcases. Like the bathroom layout. Sink in middle, shower on one side and toilet on the other. Husband is 6'2" and it worked fine for him.

Read All Balcony (BB) Reviews >>

Best snorkeling package ever. $130. Airplane ride to Ambergris Caye, round trip, pick up at airport. boat ride to reef and some of the best snorkeling! Worth every penny!

The port was nice and clean. The $3 cab ride was worth it to see little village walk/boardwalk with shops and food places. CocoCorona, Crazy Lobster but go all the way to the end to a restaurant called Sulumar. Name is on the side of the building. Cheap beers and salsa. Nice services. Ship crew goes there.

Read 1424 Costa Maya Reviews

Strange that you have to go over the street and down the stairs. Ernesto Rental was great. $25 for the moped for the day. They were great to deal with. Made our way to Bob Marley/Rasta Bar for $3 beers and some good food. Low key, low budget and low tourist. Just how I like it. Reminds me of a Corona commerical.

Read 4628 Cozumel Reviews

It was ok. Partly my fault. After the snorkeling trip your driver picks you up. But you have to be very clear about what you want when the driver pick you up. They are there to take you where you want to go so if you don't give directions then driver will take you to a few place. We wanted to have lunch on the beach. Not stay on the beach. Had to pay $10 each to get into a private resort. I told the owner that we only wanted to have lunch not lay on the beach. She gave us our $10 per person back. Roatan was ok but I can cross it off my list of places since I've been there. I did like their port for the shopping.

Compare Prices on Norwegian Jewel Western Caribbean Cruises

Member Since 2012
20 Forum Posts
Family & Children
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?
Skip X