Majesty of the Seas Cruise Review by Zeusdg1

Member Name: Zeusdg1
Cruise Date: January 2014
Destination: Bahamas

A Quick Getaway

My wife and I just got back from the 3-day Bahamas cruise on Majesty. I will try to cover everything as best I can.

We left the morning after a major blizzard in the Northeast. The airports were a NIGHTMARE. We missed our connecting flight and luckily found the last two seats on a plane to Ft. Lauderdale and caught a cab to Miami. We made it to the port with 20 minutes to spare. When I called Royal Carribean from the airport in Atlanta re: holding the ship, they said that they only do that if a large % of the passengers are missing. This was not the case so we really just made it. My advice to anyone taking any cruise would be to take an additional day for travel and get to the port the night before. I would do this going forward.

The cruise itself was pretty good. Night 1 we had rough seas and after a long day of travel, we ate a quick bite in the Windjammer, lasted through 5 minutes of the show, and just went right to bed. The water from Miami to CoCo Cay was really rough and the ship was rocking the whole night. I didn't mind it so much because I found it helped me sleep but my wife's stomach felt differently. This isn't the ship's fault so I don't blame anyone, just something to be aware of.

The first full day was in Coco Cay. We tendered since there is no dock. The line was super long but moved very quickly and from start to finish took 15 minutes. Once there we just found some lounge chairs and hung on the beach. It was overcast and cool and I don't think the sun came out once. It was enjoyable to read a book, watch people, and relax. There are also hammocks which make for a pretty cool relaxation period. The beach bbq was actually way better than we expected and after lunch we headed back to the ship.

Second full day was Nassau. My best recommendation is that if you just want to lay on a beautiful beach, take a cab or the Nassau jitney bus and go to the Sheraton for the day. The public beaches we saw from the road looked less than desirable. We did not want to pay $170 to go to Atlantis and have no control over coming and going from there since the excursin lasted 5 hours (this was the beach excursion through the ship). The Sheraton charged $30 a person to use their facilities for the day which included the beach, chairs, nonmotorized water sports, pool, and wi-fi. There was a restaurant if you wanted food but we just waited to go back to the ship. The cab was $18 each way. For under $100, you can have an AMAZING day at the beach by doing the Sheraton. Makes Atlantis seem like that much more of a rip off.

Other than that, the ship was great. Listen, it is the oldest ship the cruise line so there are obviously some signs of age, but they are ALWAYS working to make the ship look great. Housekeeping was very good in both the rooms and common areas. Food in the Windjammer was ok. There are some things they made very well, some other things, not so much. Gotta just choose wisely and if you don't like it, don't eat it. Drives me crazy when people say the food is terrible. You're on a ship and they're cooking for 2500 people. Find something. They will bring you whatever you want. There were plenty of onboard activities and if it wasn't something you wanted to participate in, some were at least fun to watch. The shows were only so-so. The comedian was not the best. There was an Elton John impersonator that was VERY talented but after 45 minutes it gets to be a little too much of the same thing. The last night's show was a 70's singing and dancing. Again, not my thing but no denying that the people putting on the show were incredibly talented as well.

Only other suggestion is that if you can carry off your own luggage, do it. We were out and through customs by 8:30.

Overall, great trip for the money and just wish it had been one more day.

Publication Date: 01/07/14