Ruby Princess Cruise Review by honeybee324: GREAT FIRST-EVER CRUISE !!

honeybee324
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Ruby Princess Greece Cruises

GREAT FIRST-EVER CRUISE !!

Sail Date: October 2013
Destination: Greece
Embarkation: Venice

This was my sister and I's first cruise. We booked a mini-suite, on the recommendation of others. It was wonderful! Nice, roomy, decent bathroom and closet space, plus a cabinet and safe. The room also had a "living area" with couch, chair and table. Two TV's, storage and counter space allowed plenty of places for our collections along the way. Also included was a small refrigerator. Of course, the balcony was wonderful, also. We spent time out hanging onto the railing, watching as we left port and occasionally, as we entered a new port. How these big ships can maneuver and turn is amazing.

I was impressed with the speed and organization at Check-IN (embarkation) I've heard horror stories about other cruise lines! Many employees around to guide you in each direction, as needed, for each step of the way. ALL the staff was extremely friendly, always with a smile, no matter how many questions I asked.

Our luggage was quick to arrive to our rooms. We hurriedly unpacked. More Our Room Steward brought us Champagne and fruit. How nice!

We later wandered around the ship. I took the "SHIP TOUR", which was offered. I met a new "Assistant Cruise Director", Catalina, (Cat, for short) Throughout the length of the cruise, when we saw each other, she always recognized me and said a warm, "Hello, Miss Laura". We often chatted for a few moments, as she would tell me how her new job experience was developing. She was such a genuine person!

All the staff had smiles and seems willing to help or offer their services. (even when NOT requested)

I loved the decor and theme of this ship!! Beautiful beyond imagination! My taste, for sure. Even Fresco paintings on the walls, mosaics and water falls, dark wood paneling. Very elegant,lovely, and quite calming.

(I looked at photos of other cruise line ships. Their decor would give me a migraine, what with all the colors, shapes, patterns and craziness!)

The TV had a channel that kept everyone updated with location and another channel describing the cities we would visit.

The nightly Theater shows were mostly OK. A few were really good, (the song and dance numbers) The magician wasn't very good. The shows filled up so fast, we had to get there about 30 mins. BEFORE show time to get a good seat.

The pools looked lovely, but we were not into swimming. We DID enjoy the outdoor movies. Really fun, with popcorn and a blanket to keep us warm.

We choose ANYTIME dining....thinking it was the Buffet. It was NOT...it was in a choice of two BEAUTIFUL, Elegant dining rooms. Very fancy, with white table cloths, servers for all our courses. We were quite impressed! We did eat in the buffet often, for dinner. Many items to choose, all the ones we tried, we liked. We never did eat breakfast, choosing ROOM SERVICE, because we had to get off the ship so early to see each city we visited. We were disappointed in the offerings for Room Service Breakfast. Beverages were good, coffee, tea, milk, juices, etc. Food choices very limited. Oatmeal available. I ordered the Egg McMuffin with cheese and ham. Small, dry, (no condiments) and muffin not tasty. Croissant was very small, so my sister started ordering two. We thought to have sandwiches delivered, to take along on our tours. That did NOT work out, as they came DRY, no condiments, no lettuce, and UNwrapped. We put them in ziplock bags we had in our room. We didn't order sandwiches anymore.

One thing that was GREAT.....being an American ship, I was able to get money from an ATM, on board. There is also a Money Exchanger for Euros.A small fee of $4.50. was charged.

Throughout the cruise, live music was playing in the Piazza, on the 5th deck center. This was so wonderful. Even as we left Venice, the Venice Symphony was playing. Great moment to remember.

This was a very exciting time for me. I hope to take another cruise in the future.

Thank you to Princess for a memorable time. Plus, good weather!

All-in-all, a GREAT first cruise and I hope the beginning of many more! Less

Read more Ruby Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Ruby Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Ruby Princess D-121

My sister and I have now been SPOILED!! We agree....we will always have a mini-suite with balcony! It was so wonderful and relaxing. We wish there had been more "AT SEA" days, so we could have enjoyed the ship and our room more. We booked a mini-suite, on the recommendation of others. It was wonderful! Nice, roomy, decent bathroom, with tub and shower; adequate closet space, plus a tall cabinet with shelves and a safe. We choose to have two twin beds, each with a nightstand and lamp. There was a Wrap-around cabinet with mirror, that had plug-ins (outlets) for our electronics to recharge. The room also had a "living area" with couch, chair and table. Roomy, we never felt crowded. Two TV's, storage and counter space allowed plenty of places for our collections along the way. Also included was a small refrigerator. We purchased water and sodas OFF-Ship, and brought them back to our room and Fridge. Of course, the balcony was wonderful, also. We spent time out hanging onto the railing, watching as we entered or left ports.Such a remarkable sight to behold. It is amazing how these HUGE ships can maneuver and turn around or back up. Our room steward turned our beds down each night and left chocolate candy on our pillows. Nice touch. When we had an issue with the safe, our Room Steward contacted the proper person, which then, came to "FIX" it, with a special key. That allowed us to open the safe and reset the Code. The instructions need to be MUCH clearer!! Once you SET your Code....you must then use that SAME CODE to CLOSE and LOCK the safe. The instructions just say: use any 4 digit code, so we used a different number. Which caused the safe to be LOCKED!! We could NOT open this safe. It is NICE to know that these safes can NOT be opened, no matter what, by anyone, other than a special person, with that special key.Our room was so nice. I hope to cruise again.