Dawn Princess Cruise Review by ParisMatch2014

Cruise Date: December 2013
Embarkation: Melbourne
Destination: Australia & New Zealand
Cabin Number: C744
See More About: Dawn Princess Cruise Reviews | Australia & New Zealand Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Dawn Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Dawn Princess Deck Plans
New Zealand get away

We travelled from Melbourne to New Zealand on the Dawn Princess (December 2013-January 2014). We are first time travellers on the Princess Line.

Embarking at Port Melbourne was excellent, quick and easy we were in our suite in 15 minutes and our bags arrived approx 30 minutes later. Disembarking was even quicker 10 minutes once called.

Our suite (mini) was lovely we opted for cabin C744 on deck nine aft of ship, we like the motion of being aft and this suite given it's location is bigger than other mini suites, it's almost as big as a suite. Lots of marble and wood, we had a walk in robe with a deposit safe and lots of room for my many outfits. A large bathroom with jacuzzi and shower lots of storage and a separate toilet with large mirror more storage. There were also two televisions although reception was a little fuzzy. The theme carried on in these rooms more marble and wood.

The queens sized bed was comfortable and the pillows good. We had a double lounge and two chairs in leather and a large balcony with two chairs a table and two lounges approx 6ft in length. There was also a bar area and a desk and chairs more mirrors and lots of lighting. The entrance was lovely with a little walk in.

On the down side there was not enough power points and we ended up with a power board and extension cord curtesy of Glean D'Silva our cabin steward. A special mention must go to Glean who was outstanding and a credit to the princess cruise line, Glean is one of the best cabin stewards I have ever come across, he was very competent, professional and friendly without being intrusive.

The staff on board were all wonderful except for Tossie our dining waiter, he is a loud, intrusive show pony and dining was disappointing to us as we had to endure his extravagant manner every night. Some nights we just stayed in our cabin just to get away from him.

The food was good in all areas, especially given they are cooking for so many, the steak house was first class, the food and service sublime. At a cost of $20 per head you must eat here.

On the downside when the weather was rough this cabin is very noisy, everything bangs and creaks loudly.

They had the usual activities that you find on all cruises nothing spectacular but still entertaining, the shows were great. The only disappointment was the price of the photos, obscene with no packages and you had to buy a hard copy before they would allow you to buy a soft copy. The staff in this area were the coldest I experienced on board. We bought no photos even though there were many we liked as they were lovely but at $27 a copy with no discount for bulk purchase, no thank you!

The amount of wastage with all those photos thousands of them being trashed is not Eco friendly and given the princess line promotes being Eco friendly perhaps they should look at this wastage. On other liners I have been able to purchase photo packages. May I also point out if you wanted a digital copy not only must you buy a hard copy but you also had to purchase one of the discs. Why one could just download it from a link via the web is beyond me.

New Zealand is beautiful I loved all of the ports we docked at and disembarking and embarking was easy.

My only regret was I didn't take part in as many things as I should of plus I ate to much as usual.

Publication Date: 01/07/14