Viking Baldur Cruise Review by mtbdave: We won't do this again!

mtbdave
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Viking Baldur Europe - River Cruise Cruises

We won't do this again!

Sail Date: December 2013
Destination: Europe - River Cruise
Embarkation: Amsterdam

This was our first Viking cruise on one of their new ships going south on the Rhine River for the for the 2013 Christmas markets. We were two couples traveling together as we have for many years.

I will first start off with the negatives: When we first boarded the ship our stomachs did flip-flops from the overwhelmingly bad smell coming from somewhere along the side. The smell seemed to come and go throughout the next few days. I was told they were having a sewerage problem. No kidding! During the ensuing days I would estimate that perhaps half of the passengers got sick as did members of the crew. On one evening, two thirds of the dinner meals were served. Three of the four of us got sick. On the last day of the cruise we got a one page disclaimer letter from Viking but have received no further contact from them. The French balcony rooms we booked were easily the smallest accommodations I'd ever seen. Evening entertainment consists, for the most part of a singer/pianist. More Keep in mind that the shore excursions involve a guided tour after which you have an hour or so to explore a given city. Transportation to and from the city may be miles away and the last available Viking bus is at 4-5 PM. You have time for dinner but thereafter there is nothing to do. Between our two couples we have perhaps 30 ocean cruises under our belts and we've never had a problem with illness or the like. Before I forget, let me mention the throngs of people that attend the Christmas markets, something I simply did not anticipate. Less

Read more Viking Baldur cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Viking Baldur Review >>

Cabin review: Viking Baldur

As I said, the French balcony was the smallest cabin I'd ever seen. Smaller than any inside cabin in an oceanliner. The room is nicely appointed. Our cabin steward was terrific as were most of the crewmembers in other parts of the ship, specifically the dining room.