Viking Baldur Cruise Review by mtbdave

Cruise Date: December 2013
Embarkation: Amsterdam
Destination: Europe River
Cabin Category: French balcony
See More About: Viking Baldur Cruise Reviews | Europe River Cruise Reviews | Viking River Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Viking Baldur Review (by Cruise Critic!)
We won't do this again!

This was our first Viking cruise on one of their new ships going south on the Rhine River for the for the 2013 Christmas markets. We were two couples traveling together as we have for many years.

I will first start off with the negatives: When we first boarded the ship our stomachs did flip-flops from the overwhelmingly bad smell coming from somewhere along the side. The smell seemed to come and go throughout the next few days. I was told they were having a sewerage problem. No kidding! During the ensuing days I would estimate that perhaps half of the passengers got sick as did members of the crew. On one evening, two thirds of the dinner meals were served. Three of the four of us got sick. On the last day of the cruise we got a one page disclaimer letter from Viking but have received no further contact from them. The French balcony rooms we booked were easily the smallest accommodations I'd ever seen. Evening entertainment consists, for the most part of a singer/pianist. Keep in mind that the shore excursions involve a guided tour after which you have an hour or so to explore a given city. Transportation to and from the city may be miles away and the last available Viking bus is at 4-5 PM. You have time for dinner but thereafter there is nothing to do. Between our two couples we have perhaps 30 ocean cruises under our belts and we've never had a problem with illness or the like. Before I forget, let me mention the throngs of people that attend the Christmas markets, something I simply did not anticipate.

Publication Date: 01/07/14