Scenic Crystal Cruise Review by MelbDemon

Member Name: MelbDemon
Cruise Date: September 2013
Embarkation: Amsterdam
Destination: Europe River
See More About: Scenic Crystal Cruise Reviews | Europe River Cruise Reviews | Scenic Tours Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Scenic Crystal Review (by Cruise Critic!)
Almost Everything I Wanted

It was a wet autum day that we embarked on the Scenic Crystal in Amsterdam heading for Budapest and this weather continued for the whole cruise almost derailing it for us.

I have done a lot of research into this style of cruising and chose Scenic for what i hoped would be a great experience and value for money.

Accomodation: as described and quite good though be careful in the shower the head is not angled sufficiently and i kept getting too close to the hot water pipe......ouch

Crew:they were fantastic.As i found out all the crew expect Cruise director are not scenic employees and work on many boats though their attention to detail,service and general attitude couldnt be faulted.

Activities: A good range of excursions & on board events that kept us all well entertained despited the rain.Hey i wasnt going to miss out on anything including the 34km bike hike Melk- Durnstein

Food & Drink: I am a very fussy eater though bland and found that many things to my liking that 8 days in 6.5kgs had been added to my weight. A necessary change in eating habits ensued. I am a non drinker but those we dined with indicated that the wine selection was very good with glasses filled regularly

Now for the disappointing bits.......

I would argue that most organisations promotions dont live up to reality and this was true here though both of these promoted activities were also highlights.

Scenic promote a day in the life of a german village and a special event with the spanish riding school in vienna as part of the wide range of excursions offered.With a little more effort and thought both of these events could have lived up to the glossy brouchure they just didnt satisfy.We did spend a very pleasant afternoon at a winery ,short tour and great night event- but not a day in the life of......

We did go behind the scenes at the spanish riding school but very qwick no photography and i knew more about the history of the school than the guide provided.Fortunately she suggested we obtain tickets prior to the tour to see the morning routuine - 47 years i had waited to see these horses........

I wrote to scenic detailing what my fellings were and did get a response back- not addressing my issues which was disappointing.

Over all we had a fantastic time gained weight and felt our money was well spent. Will go again .

Publication Date: 01/06/14