Scenic Crystal Cruise Review by MelbDemon: Almost Everything I Wanted

Almost Everything I Wanted

Sail Date: September 2013
Destination: Europe - River Cruise
Embarkation: Amsterdam

It was a wet autum day that we embarked on the Scenic Crystal in Amsterdam heading for Budapest and this weather continued for the whole cruise almost derailing it for us.

I have done a lot of research into this style of cruising and chose Scenic for what i hoped would be a great experience and value for money.

Accomodation: as described and quite good though be careful in the shower the head is not angled sufficiently and i kept getting too close to the hot water pipe......ouch

Crew:they were fantastic.As i found out all the crew expect Cruise director are not scenic employees and work on many boats though their attention to detail,service and general attitude couldnt be faulted.

Activities: A good range of excursions & on board events that kept us all well entertained despited the rain.Hey i wasnt going to miss out on anything including the 34km bike hike Melk- Durnstein

Food & Drink: I am a very fussy eater though bland and found More that many things to my liking that 8 days in 6.5kgs had been added to my weight. A necessary change in eating habits ensued. I am a non drinker but those we dined with indicated that the wine selection was very good with glasses filled regularly

Now for the disappointing bits.......

I would argue that most organisations promotions dont live up to reality and this was true here though both of these promoted activities were also highlights.

Scenic promote a day in the life of a german village and a special event with the spanish riding school in vienna as part of the wide range of excursions offered.With a little more effort and thought both of these events could have lived up to the glossy brouchure they just didnt satisfy.We did spend a very pleasant afternoon at a winery ,short tour and great night event- but not a day in the life of......

We did go behind the scenes at the spanish riding school but very qwick no photography and i knew more about the history of the school than the guide provided.Fortunately she suggested we obtain tickets prior to the tour to see the morning routuine - 47 years i had waited to see these horses........

I wrote to scenic detailing what my fellings were and did get a response back- not addressing my issues which was disappointing.

Over all we had a fantastic time gained weight and felt our money was well spent. Will go again . Less

Published 01/06/14

Read more Scenic Crystal cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Scenic Crystal Review >>

Cabin review: 220

of reasonable size- we are not big people so were abble to fit easily.Hated the splt bed linen had to get up nightly and adjust

MelbDemon
Member Since 2014
Family & Children
Rates
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?