Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by AlanAllyn

Celebrity Equinox
Celebrity Equinox
Member Name: AlanAllyn
Cruise Date: December 2013
See More About: Celebrity Equinox Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Dining 5+

A cruise to relax

We are retired, with about 20 cruises, 4 on Celebrity. I wasn't going to write a review until I saw the other one from this cruise.

We live only a half hour from the port and left our car at ParkNGo. We had received text, voice mail and email messages that boarding would not begin until 12:30 because of a Coast Guard inspection. Also, all of the crew had to go through immigration. We arrived about 1:15 and boarded very quickly. We were the only ones in the Elite line. We went to Bistro on 5, but had to wait a half hour since they were not ready to open. The food was excellent.

Our cabin was 8230, one of the large balconies. It was in an ideal location, just steps from the main elevators. There was no noise from the hall, the elevators or the lobby.

We ate in the MDR at the early (6:00) sitting every night. Our dietary needs are different from most. We eat only fin fish and vegetarian on the cruise. Each night, they had a separate vegetarian menu, with 2 appetizers, 2 soups, 2 salads and 2 main courses, with some overlap with the main menu. They also made us a vegetarian baked onion soup a couple of nights. We thought that the food was excellent.

For most breakfasts, I went to the Elite breakfast in Tuscan Grill for a light meal. We had lunch in the MDR, AquaSpa Cafe, Bistro on 5, and Oceanview. None of them were crowded and there was a good selection. The food was fine.

The entertainment in the the theater was mostly rather good. I skipped the western singer and thought that the music for Equinox, the Show, was terrible. However the Band was excellent, as was the pianist (who also put on a matinee show on the last sea day) and the comedian.

There was a lot of live music around the ship, although it was different from what I am used to.

Le Chic Duo - two young ladies from Quebec with guitar and smooth vocals

Sean Golden - guitar, singer

Trio Sunrise - guitar, a little percussion and male & female singer

Elaine Abras Quartet - jazz

7-piece band

party band

We missed the a cappella group, the string quartet and the piano bar.

Often, the music was too loud (and I am hard of hearing). It seems that Celebrity is aiming at a younger crowd. I believe that is a mistake on the longer cruises, since most of the passengers were not in that age range.

Our major problem was with the description of the Veragua Rainforest tour in Costa Rica. It was rated mild, with about a mile of walking. My wife has problems walking and we walked and stood for over two hours before the first opportunity to sit down. I discussed it with the Excursions desk, in an email to Michael Bayley and again on a half hour conversation on a call from Celebrity's Guest relations. We discussed everything I have written about in this review.

Disembarkation was very slow. Since we were driving, we asked for a got a late time, 9:45. However, our number wasn't called until after 10:30. There was a long line for porters, a half hour wait. However, he was able to avoid the long lines for customs, since my wife was using her cane. We didn't get home until after noon, the latest on any cruise from Ft. Lauderdale or Miami.

Publication Date: 01/05/14