Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by Suncruiser1325: Good but not as good as it should be Sail date 12/23

Suncruiser1325
Member Since 2006

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Norwegian Gem Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Good but not as good as it should be Sail date 12/23

Sail Date: December 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

Good

The most polite and hardworking staff. This is our 8th cruise, 2nd on NCL, cruised Princess, Royal Caribbean, and Celebrity. They followed up and really listened when we had a problem.

Food was good no tough cuts of meat,there was a nice selection of food, lobster was excellent first evening.

Air conditioning was excellent in the stateroom and very cool on the ship itself.

Room service was great.

Beer selection good it was served was ice cold.

Not so good

Christmas Dinner took 4 hours. It took one hour to be seated and it then took 3 hours until it was finished. The wait in the Grand Pacific dining room was painful, for a drink, for the wine list, for the food. We went the evening before and it was also quite slow. We never went back.

Dining is not a fun experience. The other dining room, the Magenta is also crowded. We were wasting so much time with dinner, and missing things constantly. We opted to eat at More the buffet instead and arrived at 8:00pm. i was getting pasta, there was no one else waiting, the cook took forever, first he made me wait while he washed dishes, then, he did not have the pasta and had to go get it, then he didn't have enough sauce, I sat down with my food, and my husband went to get his food. It was 8:25 and they were closing up! He went to the other side, got some food, and they locked him out, outside in the back of the ship. He told them that his wife was inside, with his beer on the table, and they were not letting him in. Then he finally got in and I ordered a beer, and the waiter came back with another waiter and tried to sell me a bucket of beer telling us we could take the bucket wherever we want. I just wanted a beer, by now it is 8:45 and the two waiters left the table, and we see them just standing there talking. My husband was so aggravated, he took back the card and got the beer himself. This was like a training cruise. The staff was really not sure what to do and when. We tried so many times to get drinks and it would take forever, in the dining room, at the pool. The waiters would run around trying to get several drink orders before going on to get the drinks we ordered. They also were pushing buckets everywhere. We even saw these poor people accidently get a bucket of Fosters which was like 2 feet tall. The people returned it instantly. How funny!

On 5 different days we had no hot water to shower. Once was at 6:00 am which was frustrating since we wanted to get ready to go ashore early to St. Martin.

The crew members do not always know what is going on. We asked where theater was and were sent to the wrong place, and some don't understand English.

Another thing was my husband bought the drink package and I didn't when we got on board. The next day on Christmas Eve day at 8:30am, someone calls and wakes us up and tells my husband that they are taking it away and cancelling the first day of using it, even though he had a signed contract which in the end prevailed. When we got onto the ship, the day before, there were 3 people trying to recruit us for the package waiving us over, and we told them that I was not interested in it for myself and that my husband would like to get it. They said fine. The next day we were sound asleep, and were called up and aggravated. It was so unfair and unprofessional.

The ship is very crowded in general. Days at sea are tougher than other cruises. People are all over the place, in clothes that are not suitable for eating from an inside buffet, including bathrobes. There is a lot less cleaning up of common areas and so many faucets did not work correctly in the restrooms to wash your hands. Many bathrooms also did not have soap. The coffee cups and breakfast dishes were left on tables for a long time especially upstairs pool bar.

Also,one thing that I did not care for when I was leaving, I took my suitcase out from under the bed and there were 2 sets of clean sheets on the floor being stored there for some reason. I wonder if they were going on the bed when it was going to be changed. The carpet was not so clean.

To sum it up, the staff is very nice and very hardworking, but they do not seem to have the support they need,or are being trained a little differently then we are used to, they are so willing to make you happy though. We just feel that our problems were due to an overall lack in the cruise line. In fact, we are confused by NCL, we cruised them in Europe awhile ago and it was so much more organized. Less

Read more Norwegian Gem cruise reviews >>