Celebrity Constellation Cruise Review by kupuanani

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Celebrity Constellation Cruise Review by kupuanani
Celebrity Constellation
Celebrity Constellation
Member Name: kupuanani
Cruise Date: December 2013
See More About: Celebrity Constellation Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals

STRANDED in Key West

We left Port Everglade on December 14, 2013 in route to Key West and then on to Cozumel...or so we thought. We reached Key West on Sunday morning and went into the city for a trolley tour which was really informational and a lot of fun. It was quite hot, so I was glad for the water from our ship and the free bottled water from the trolley tour. Went back on board around 2:00 p.m. and showered, and waited for our departure from Key West at 5:00 p.m. At 6:00 p.m. we were still in port and waiting to hear the engines reeve up to be on our way. At 7:00 p.m. the captain came over the loud speaker system to inform us of the "good news, bad news & really good news!" Which was we were still in Key West...really, I didn't know that...one of the turbine engines had broken down, & the really good news was that we were moving over the Naval base dock for the repairs that needed to be done on the ship. Then he stated that we would be underway by 10:00 p.m. that evening. If you wish to go back into Key West for the evening, we could be tendered there and needed to return to the ship by 9:30 p.m. so we could leave at 10 p.m. At 10:30 p.m. the Captain came over the loud speaker again and stated the repair was taking longer then anticipated and we would be in port until 9:30 a.m. the next day.

We got up the next morning and waited for our time to leave the port. At 10:45 a.m. the captain came over the loud speaker again and stated we still could not leave port and we would be able to go into Key West again if we wanted to. We did not get off the ship again, as we really didn't have anything else to do in Key West. He stated we would leave port at 10 p.m. that night. Again, we did not leave and were told we would leave at 6 a.m. the next day and head to Nassau, Bahamas. Now, I have been to Nassau 6 times already. I mostly go on this cruise to enjoy my time on the boat. I find the Bahamas a good first time cruise, but don't really like getting off there anymore. I was definitely disappointed with this news.

We did finally get on our way at about 7:30 a.m. on Wed. 12/18. I went down to the purser's desk to see if there would be any kind of compensation for this change. I was told there would not be anything for our inconvience but I could try to contact the Headquarters when I returned home. I did that just a few moments ago and got no satisfaction of any kind. Just sincere apologies and that she would certainly let her superiors know of my dissatisfaction. It wouldn't have taken much to make me happy really...I mean the fact that the engine was that broken down is not something that they didn't know wasn't going to happen anytime too soon. When my car is acting up, I know by certain sounds that it makes that I need to get it checked out soon...I believe it is the same with a cruise ship. You have been working with this vessel long enough to know when something major is about to happen. Ignoring that and your passengers is not how to do business.

Other issues with the ship was our wait staff. Our sub-waiter was a sweet young man who had been working there for 2 months. He was not very attentive because he didn't seem to know what to do next. Our first night he spilled coffee on one of our dining mates. She was wearing white (coffee stained) pants now. Our waiter was fast. Too fast as he made many mistakes on whose order he was serving to whom. Twice I received our vegan dining mates food and they received mine. Several times I told him to slow down and take the time to be right instead of being too fast. He, however, saw the slowness of our sub-waiter and did alot of the jobs he should be doing for us. Thus the reason for such overly excessive mistakes.

The entertainment was really good. The comic was outstanding, the singers at the bars were really enjoyable and there was a string trio that played spectacular. The Celebrity Shows of dancers, singers and aerialist was fantastic. The Art Auction was fun and entertaining as well.

Our cabin stewards were prompt and friendly. We enjoyed there presence and dedication to perfection. There were other staff that really made this cruise stand out to us as well. The young girl who waited on us for our gelato in the evenings was refreshing along with one waitress who brought our drinks in the same area on deck 5. And then there was Taylor (with the cruise director dept.) who really helped make our last day (at Nassau) fun and entertaining.

These few things made our time being STRANDED bearable. However, I would never cruise with Celebrity again. The attitude that things happen with no regard for the price I spent for a cruise that just didn't deliver doesn't meet with my standards. As you know when in port, the casino and shops are all shut down due to the rules and deals that the lines have with each port they go into. That meant, while stuck in Key West for 2 1/2 days, we couldn't shop or play the slots while there.

I just wish that Celebrity would have said, "Book with us again and we will comp your drink package or give you an onboard credit of $100 per stateroom or something like that." I wasn't looking for a free cruise back to Cozumel (although, I would have welcomed it), I was looking for something that showed me that they took seriously my disappointment with the way this trip turned out. Even if they had offered 1/4 to 1/2 off my next cruise, I would have been happy. But they sheer "so sad, too bad" attitude makes me say I'll never cruise with them again. As they are part of Royal Caribbean as well, I am beginning to feel the same way as the Crown & Anchor lines too. The same corporation would treat me the same if something happened on their line as well.

Publication Date: 01/05/14