Thomson Celebration Cruise Review by Rossi1948: Never again

Never again

Sail Date: December 2013
Destination: Canary Islands
Embarkation: Tenerife

I know some people thought this cruise was fine and have even re-booked for next year but for the life of me I cannot understand why. I don't go on holiday to pick fault but I have nothing good to say about the Celebration.

Our problems started way before we even embarked - with the awful customer service we received from the call centres (having booked on line). It took well over half an hour just to make a payment, they then gave us the wrong telephone number to book excurisions and in the end we had to call into one of the Thompson shops where they confirmed that the call centre service was a matter of some concern to customers. However that said we were looking forward to our week's cruise to the Canary Islands and Madiera.

The ship is old and no amount of refit is going to change the lack of space and facilities. The food was pretty awful. cold, repeditive and recycled. There was an outbreak of novo virus (we spoke to two ladies who were confined to their cabin More for 2 days). The staff for the most part, were friendly although terribly overworked. Service in the bars was slow and on no account would you get value for money if you had paid for the drinks package (we got our included as we had booked early). We had to ask for milk for the complimentary tea/coffee and had to request pool towels which should have been in our cabin and we never got replacement toiletries. Entertainment was abismal ranging from a song and dance group who could neither sing or dance to Butlins style games. We spent one day at sea and the next day was Christmas Day when we docked and everything was closed on shore. It would have been much better if we could have had 2 days in Madiera but I feel everything was cost cutting so it was cheaper to have the ship at sea. They have formal nights (we had 2 although nothing in the booking advised that there was one extra one as it is usually one per week I think) but the great majority of people did not conform to 'black tie' and there were many men very casually dressed so if Thompson aren't going to enforce formal dressing on these occasions I would suggest they drop this as this cruise is pitched , in my opinion, at the low end of the market and I would be hard pressed to give it a 3 star rating. I was going to book the Dream for next Christmas but I am going back to P & O. Less

Read more Thomson Celebration cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Thomson Celebration Review >>

Cabin review: Thomson Celebration 216

The cabin was quite spacious but the bathroom was tiny. You could not put the kettle and the hairdryer on at the same time due to the weird electrics. There were two single beds - one with the TV above so there was no way you could watch it. A bit shabby and dated.

Possibly should have taken an excurision although there was nothing particularly I wanted to see. Everything was closed as we arrived on Chrismas day. Nice prom.

Nice little town for a half day stroll but nothing much to do or see. Plenty of shops and bars though. Might be better toi book an excurision.

Botanical Garden

(2)

This was part of the same tour and a bit boring as at Christmas nothing much is in flower. The conditions the exotic birds are kept in is a disgrace.

Cable Car

(5)

Caught the cable car up to Monte and came down the hill in the sledge - great fun but not if you are easily scared. Just as easty to get a taxi from the sip and go up yourself then pick up a taxi at the bottom of the hill.

No time to take an excurision as we were leaving at luch time and didn't want to miss getting home! Took one look at the port and got back on board.

Read 208 Tenerife Reviews