Island Escape Cruise Review by Laureen Reid: Brilliant

Brilliant

Sail Date: October 2013
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Palma de Mallorca

I don't usually write reviews but after reading yet more criticism of Island Escape I felt I must respond but firstly I'd like to say that if there is one thing on this planet I can't stand it is a snob!

We checked out the reviews on Island Escape before making a booking in February 2013 and although some were less than complementary we went ahead and booked a two week Mediterranean cruise departing Palma on 8th October. As the year wore on the reviews seemed to get worse and we almost cancelled - thankfully we didn't as we spent two brilliant weeks onboard our kind of ship! Yes she's an older ship in need of an upgrade but what she lacked in decor she more than made up for with her crew who were exceptional. The cabins were cleaned 2-3 times a day, we found the beds turned down and bedside lights switched on when we returned to our cabin for the night. An extra special thank you to Artur who was always smiling and did an excellent job of looking after our cabin

We More usually had breakfast in the Beachcomber and dinner in the Island Restaurant and although it may not have been what you would get in a top restaurant we enjoyed every meal, never found it to be cold and never felt the need to pay extra to dine in the Oasis. As for the dress code - it looks like some critics appeared to have spent an awful lot of their time watching other people instead of getting on with enjoying themselves- still I suppose that's their loss!

As for the all inclusive drinks package - we had no complaints the beer was excellent as were the cocktails. Drinks were available from 10am to 2am and we can't believe some folk thought that wasn't good enough - pardon my criticism here but anyone needing to be supplied with drink before 10am and after 2am may need to review their drinking habits!!

The two main reasons we chose this cruise were 1) It was laid back (we are no Chavs just an ordinary couple of 60 somethings who did not want to, or intend to, get trussed up in order to impress anyone) and

2) The itinerary took in all the ports we wanted to visit (shore trips were excellent)

We're already checking out our next Island Escape cruise! Less