Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by allyman

Member Name: allyman
Cruise Date: November 2013
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)
Destination: Australia & New Zealand
See More About: Radiance of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Australia & New Zealand Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Entertainment Not Rated

First Cruise… Can't Wait to Sail Again!

As this was our first cruise we decided 5 nights would be a good amount as a 'sampler'. Well, we wanted to stay longer. We were impressed with the level of service, and all staff members were so courteous. We had a fabulous room attendant, nothing was too much trouble. And we had the same waitstaff each night in the MDR, and they were lovely and friendly, greeting you by name. Cannot fault the service. I needed to print an email and they went to no end of trouble at Guest Services to see that I had what I needed. There was plenty to do, but it does take a while to wind down firstly and to explore the ship. We had a pretty lazy first cruise and didn't participate in much of anything except people watching. We didn't catch a show which I regret, nor see a movie, except in our room. We found there was a wide cross section of ages, although there were more elderly people than I anticipated. We chose the 8:30pm dining session and the first night we were at a table for 10. The other diners were fairly quiet and didn't converse with us so we requested a table for 2 for the remainder of the nights. This suited us much better. The food in the MDR was of excellent quality and it was all served very expediently. I was surprised some people didn't take formal night seriously, which is a shame to bring down the tone of the night. To me it was fun dressing up. We had a meal in Chops Grille on the final night which was superb. My only regret was that 4pm hot dog that spoilt my appetite. Windjammer Cafe is OK, I'm not a massive buffet fan, I soon get sick of the food and the circling. We had breakfast in our room one morning (no extra charge) and we really enjoyed that, although the room service menu isn't extensive. We did order the fruit and cheese platter on a couple of afternoons to enjoy in our balcony (more on that later) with a bottle of wine that can be ordered via your TV! My only disappointment was the extraordinary cost of the spa treatments. I was presented with three products at the end of my facial and it was basically a 'given' that I was going to purchase. The product alone was $318. They tried it on again with our couples massage, presenting us with product at the conclusion of the treatment, but I wasn't having a bar of it. I think the only other factor was the number of jacuzzi's on board. One day the weather wasn't so great and we felt like hopping in the jacuzzi. They were all full and we got sick of waiting for some selfish folk to get out. The shopping was nothing to rave about and we didn't buy anything at all. We did purchase some of the professional photos though. All in all we loved the experience and would go again. We did feel some movement the first night that made us a little uneasy, but we soon got used to the motion of the ship, and in fact I found it quite soothing in the end.

Publication Date: 01/05/14